Hipshot Supertone Gibson Two Post Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *So I got a Supertone two post bridge for my 1969 EB-0 and since there were no instructions included with it I screwed it all the way down so it sits flush on the face of the body the same as most of the three post Supertone bridges I have seen.

*Strung it up but can't raise the saddles high enough to get the strings off the fretboard. What am I missing? Are these bridges supposed to float like the OE bridge did? The new mounting studs don't have a "shelf" for the bridge to rest on like the OE ones did. Any thoughts?

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    They are supposed to sit tight against the body. I have sold a bunch of these and everybody seems to love them and have not heard of your issues from anyone else. Wondering if maybe you neck was shimmed at some point?

3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Bass is all original and there have been no repairs, adjustments or neck resets. Maybe mine has more tilt to it than others for some reason. I ended up fabricating a 3/16 inch thick basswood (not the best tonewood but it was the only thing my local craft store had besides balsa and plywood) shim to go under the bridge. Stained and finished in nitro to match. Will post pictures as soon as it is done.

4. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Just to double check you are talking about the two post and not the three post version right? I checked out your website but only saw the three post version on it. Was hoping you had a picture of a bass with the two post bridge mounted. It looks as though the three post bridge is significantly thicker than the two post. Seems to me the two post version would need to be just about as thick to work on my bass.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The basswood shim should work fine although I still can't really fathom why it is needed on your bass. BTW, not really instructions but did you get this information sheet with your bridge?

HipshotSupertoneInstructions.gif

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Ooops, we were posting at the same time!!

Yes, sorry I was confused about which bridge since the three point replacement actually mounts with only two screws. I have not mounted the newer two point replacement. My bad ...

7. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I talked with Hipshot today (dang they are nice) and am supposed to talk to their guitar guy tomorrow. He said that it was supposed to sit flush on the body but that he wasn't that familiar with EB-0 basses and would have his guitar guy call me tomorrow. Sounded like they are just as curious about it as me. I am figuring that for whatever reason, intentional or accidental, my bass was built with more neck tilt than most.

8. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Here is a pic to show how much tilt there is in the neck on my EB-0

l_77bb211dc7504f4ea934a5758a74874e.png

*Will post more once the new strings come in and I am able to mount the bridge

9. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    CORRECTION: It is a 3/16" shim that I used not 1/4"

10. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Talked with Bill at Hipshot. He is going to make me an aluminum shim to put under the bridge :hyper: . He said it looked as though my bass had a sharper neck angle than the 69 EB-0 he used as a model for the bridge design :eyebrow: . According to him Gibson was using from between 3 and 4 deg. neck angles during this period. Guess that is the chance you take with a handmade product :rollno: . Kinda makes me feel a little different about our modern CNC made designs :rolleyes: .

*Anyway, just wanted to share how nice the people at Hipshot have been :D . Going above and beyond the call of duty to correct a mistake that Gibson made 40 years ago :bassist: .

11. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    glad you got a resolution to this!

12. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Yeah, me too. It always seems to be my luck. I try some simple mod and it turns out to be a major undertaking.

13. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    As promised here are the final install pictures with the aluminum spacer plate the kind folks at Hipshot custom made for me. Came out very nice and made this bass usable again. It is now properly intonated, the action is better and the tone improvement is unbelievable.Thanks!

l_987b736e41654552879e72c66ac78a72.png
    l_fca6008c9ae447e789126ffed2483254.png
    l_691a1b2fa40f47b5b95009f0ecb6f757.png
    l_0d7be1b0d4c140f4ba4d8b949f4fd939.png

The best part is that it required no modification to install. The bass can be returned to factory original without any permanent changes. More than I can say for the previous owner who drilled a hole for a mini toggle when he put a Dimarzio Model 1 in the bass.

14. Off topic: That is one gorgeous EB-0. Also glad to see that your problem got solved, glad to see at least some companies know what "customer service"is about! :)

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Noyce!

16. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Great thread, I just ordered a Hipshot Supertone for my '73 EBO with a three post bridge. That neck angle is crazy, mine is definitely different than yours. Beautiful bass Simon, enjoy.

17. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I installed the Supertone bridge on my '73 EBO. The installation was pretty straight forward, but I did run into a few problems. The E and A strings would not intonate properly. I had to cut the screws and springs so the saddles could move all the way back. The E string saddle is all the way back and I wound up removing the spring. Other than that, I have to say the bridge is definitely an improvement in tone over the original 3 point bridge. The notes ring more evenly and I can feel the notes resonating through the body. I would recommend the bridge to any EBO owner looking to improve their tone.

Attached Files:

18. edot3021

edot3021

Jan 29, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have a 66 EB0 that needs alot of work. I was going to get the Hipshot SuperTone as well. I was wondering if either of you switched out the tuners. If so, what did you go with?

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

FYI....the early 60's EB-0 models had a slightly different 2-point bridge with the posts offset sightly - the G string side post is closer to the top of the bass. Anyone with an early 60's 2-point has been unable to use the Hipshot Supertone because the holes were level. The bridges fit the late 60's and 70's models just fine.

I spoke with the Hipshot guys this summer and they were putting a new model into production with a setscrew in the hole on the G-string side; this would allow retracting the screw to use the bridge on an early 60's Gibson 2-point bridge instrument, but also allows extending the screw to use it with late 60's and 70's bridges.

The new model 2-point Supertone should be in production by now - feel free to call Hipshot and ask about it. They're very nice to talk with.

20. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *I stayed with the factory tuners. Work good enough for me but they could be smoother. I just didn't want to do any irreversible mods that couldn't be undone later.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021