Hipshot Supertone minimum action height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by edobass, Mar 14, 2010.

1. edobass

edobass

Mar 11, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi all, I'm looking at the Supertone to replace the 3-point bridge in my Vantage fretless I outlined in the other thread.

To all who have installed the Supertone, could you guys tell me what the height is from the base of the bridge to the top of each of the saddles at its minimum height?

I tried the search feature but I couldn't find any thread that addresses this specific issue. I can't find this information on Hipshot's website either.

I'm asking this because my Vantage bridge sits on a recessed cavity on the body. I know the Supertone will not fit into the recessed cavity but was hoping that it can sit on top of it, cover the hole (or most of it) and give me a low enough action.

Thanks!

2. I'm not 100% sure about the Supertone, but I know that on the A-style, you can get down to about 10.5mm - I don't see why the Supertone would be much different. If worse comes to worst, you could always call up BBG or another supplier, and request that they go measure it.

I've got a question for you and the rest of the board, though - where can I find threaded inserts for mounting these guys? I'd like to mount one on my P-bass, but it doesn't have the stud mounts. Would it be possible to simply screw the bridge down into the wood, or are inserts the way to go - and if so, where can I source a pair?

Thanks!

3. edobass

edobass

Mar 11, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi R. Laevinus, unfortunately I don't have the answers to your questions, but wouldn't you be able to use the A-style bridge for your P?

I emailed Hipshot about the Supertone fitting the Vantage and got a very helpful response from them. But bad news unfortunately, according to Bill at Hipshot, the Supertone will not give a low enough action on these sorts of basses. He's got a Vantage Flying V Bass with the same issue and he couldn't get it low enough. He reckons the A-style bridge might work although I will still have to deal with the cavity.

Oh well, Epi bridge it is then..

4. I guess we're sort of the blind leading the blind then - sorry to hear about the Supertone not fitting your axe.

As per my axe - sure, I could use the A-style - but the Supertone looks so much cooler! :bassist:

5. edobass

edobass

Mar 11, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Haha, it does look cooler!

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had good luck with emailing questions to Hipshot. They answered quickly.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021