Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Trilogy

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by therealting, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Hi Michael,

After a conversation we had about your detuner devices after one of your gigs, I was wondering whether you have experimented with the Hipshot Trilogy bridge. As far as I know, Hipshot only makes a guitar version - but Hipshot custom-made a narrow-spacing bridge for me when I converted my 7-string to an 8-string, so they may be open to the idea of creating you a bass version.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/trilogy.htm

Cheers,
    Johann

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Johann,

When Hipshot first came up with the Trilogy bridge several years ago I think they knew I'd be seriously jonesing for a bass version and they were kind enough to promise me the first one off the line. Unfortunately though, they've had trouble with the design and haven't been able to come up with one that really does the trick -- it has something to do with not having enough space between the bridge saddle and the anchor point of the string, apparently. I'm still hoping they'll figure it out. it would be a great little gadget!

3. I should've known it would be something like that - seeing as that you probably have half the world's extender keys and bulk-order discount from Hipshot. ;)

Are they responsible for the funky bridge in your Hyperbass?

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    No, actually. That bridge was originally designed by a guy at ABM, I think. I guess it was kind of a pain in the neck for him because he seemed very happy to turn the project over to Zon!