1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by milDoo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. milDoo

milDoo

Feb 6, 2013
    Georgia
    So I am in the middle of building my own bass. And I'm trying to decide on what bridge I want to get. I've been looking at the Badass V, but recently stumbled upon the Hipshot Triple Lock Down bridge(es). Can anyone tell me anything about them? More specifically, do you like them? do you not and why? How do you have them installed? or even have you ever even heard of them(which I'm sure someone has)?

That's a nice jumbled mess... anyway if you could help me out i'd be much appreciative! Thanks :hyper: :D

2. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Jan 7, 2013
    None
    The Hipshot Triple Lockdown are similar to the ABM single-string bridges (which I have experience with, and like) but I haven't used the Hipshots specifically.

The thing about both of them is the precision required when routing for them; if you get the screw holes drilled wrong, your spacing is wrong. Another consideration with Hipshot is that they're designed to have a little recessed spot on the front of the body, and the ferrules that go through the body have to be perfectly aligned from front-to-back, and they require counter-sinking on the back of the body. You're also limited on the thickness of the body you can use (any standard Fender thickness body SHOULD work, but I'd have to double check my facts on that to be 100% sure)

The ABM could easily be installed by a novice, provided they had a nice drill (preferably with a brad point drill bit) and were very very very careful to get all the spacings exact, and are willing to dowel/re-drill if you get it wrong the first time.
    The Hipshots are a much more lofty endeavor to install, even for someone that has experience with such things.

If you like Hipshot, their A-Style bridge is pretty sweet, and their B and D style bridges certainly don't suck either. I'm not personally a fan of Badass bridges, but I don't think there's anything objectively wrong with them. They do the job very well, and a lot of people really like them.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Badass bridges were cool 20 years ago. I don't find them any better than standard Fender style bridges. There are better bridges out there. I personally like the Hipshot A/B styles.

4. milDoo

milDoo

Feb 6, 2013
    Georgia
    what do you guys think about the 2tek bridges?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I think they're big and bulky and require more routing than a bridge reasonably should. Some guys really like them, but I don't understand the appeal.

Truthfully, my favorite bridge is the Hipshot A-style. You can order it in a variety of spacings, and each saddle piece has set screw that allows you to fine tune the side-to-side string spacing for each string. They're fairly lightweight and have a small enough profile that you can retrofit just about any bass with them.

6. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    Also hipshot is an awesome company that stands behind its products. I had a 30 year old extender key that exploded. It was a discontinued model. They told me to send it in- they completely rebuilt it free of charge and paid the return postage. That's a company to buy stuff from.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Used both and can't compliment the bridges and Hipshot enough. The bridges offer everything: No routing required, flawless convenience (screw intonation is perfect - better than most), no routing required (hooray), available in both aluminum and brass versions - each in chrome, black and gold, super responsive customer service, great sound. What else do you need? Hipshot bridges are standard on a huge number of upscale basses for good reason.