Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Type B bridge mounting dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Anyone have mounting hole dimensions for a 5-string Hipshot Type B with 11/16" string spacing?

All the best,

R

2. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Do you want the distance between the holes, or the size of the holes? The distance between them is roughly 2", and the holes are oval (well, not really, more like stretched round holes). I dunno the size of the holes, cuz I don't feel like taking my bass apart right now. If you want a very precise measurment, you should contact Hipshot, they might help you with that, although you might wait a veeeeeery long time for an answer. I know from experience.

3. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Excellent link for their Type A bridges, but alas there are no Type B bridges in the dataset.

I have been in contact with Hipshot to request this info, and am working this route as a backup.

All the best,

R

4. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I believe that on all the B-style bridges the mounting holes are .75" up from the back edge and 1" in from the sides. I've used both 4-string and the wider 5-string bridge and it's been that way on both.

5. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Is the type B 5-string bridge a direct replacement for a Fender bridge? Both have five in-line holes ... if it is, then I can forget about dimensions and just template of what I already have.

All the best,

R

6. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I agree that the Type A has four holes, but the Type B has five according to the image on their website.

Here's the Type B

[​IMG]

It sure looks like a direct replacement, but nothing is noted either way.

All the best,

R

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I must have been on crack when I made my last post so I deleted it.

Hipshot has always been super helpful to me on the phone. You should give them a call.

8. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Oh, wierd. The hipshot bridges I've gotten from Carvin all have 2 mounting holes and then those 5 holes for string-through-body stringing.