Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners in a Mexi Fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, Apr 16, 2005.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Anyone put the these Ultra Lite tuners in a Mexi Fender? I have one tuner here with a 1/2" post and it's swimming around in the hole. Doesn't seem to fit. Can this upgrade be made successfully? Has anyone out there done it?

2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i am in the same boat you are but with a moses neck. you probably have 11/16 holes which are common on domestic basses, 9/16 are usually on imports. i wanted black "Y" style tuners as i think those fender clover style tuners are butt ugly. i found some on the hipshot website model hb6y-1/2. i am pretty sure that is the correct model. quite expensive though at $106 for the set. email art at hipshot with your preferences and he will let you know what they can do for you; he did for me and did it the same day i emailed him.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Ditto. Measure the tuner hole. Get the right tuners.

Another choice is to make a bushing to bring the hole size down. It is best done by a machinist but you might find something ready-made that has the right sized ID and OD to work. Take a caliper to Home Depot and go wild.

Pete