Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Ultra lites

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Anyone have any experience with these tuners? I'm thinking about buying the clover one's to my Precision

Thanks!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have them on two basses (my J with Moses fretless neck, and my Thunderchief). Very, very good tuners - I would use them again in a heartbeat.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have them on several basses. Excellent quality and functionality.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Do they make the head lighter so i don't get those neck dives?

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    20% lighter than gotoh GB7 tuners.

JP

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Using good straps has completely eliminated any potential neckdive issues for me. I use a Levy 3" leather strap or a Levy 2" leather strap with suede on the underside.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    It's not a "Thunderbird neck dive" but it isn't annoying me, it's just a excuse to buy some new stuff :D

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The answer is, yes, it'll help your neck dive... How much it'll help depends, but yes, it'll help. But, I think Brads point is, its cheaper to buy a new strap, than it is to swap out your tuners for ultralites... They're about $80-90 for a set of four.

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    They cost $200 for a set of 4 her in Sweden, i'm just buying 2 now because i don't have the cash right now :D

10. Would they hold up well with tremelo use?

I need to put new tuning pegs on my TBC, and I'm going to put a trem on, and I need to know how well these pegs will hold the strings in tune.

I'm also gonna get a graphite nut with it to, so that factor won't through it off tune.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Mine have been rock solid. I can sometimes pull a bass out of a gigbag and still have it in tune.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Exactly. I like the tuners but a nice strap like mine is between $20-$40 and can used on several basses.

Talk about economical;)

13. For use with a tremolo, don't you think Sperzel locking tuners might provide more stability than the Hipshots?

14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I have ultrlights on my Stingray 5, and now, my neck doesn't dive anymore! Not only that, but my bass rarely goes out of tune (unless I beat it on stage.... normal for me!). I would try www.exoticwoods.com. They're the cheapest place I've found for 'em (Chrome clover leaf- $15 each for 5+!!!).

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've switched a few of my Carvins from the "Carvin" (probably Gotoh) sealed tuners to UltraLites. They make a big difference in balance - especially on 5- and 6-string basses. However, I find the UltraLites aren't nearly as smooth as the Gotohs or other sealed tuners. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

I have one Carvin LB75 with Sperzel tuners. They're nice, but I don't find tuning stability to be an issue on my other basses. And I've had problems with the locking mechanism ripping the silk off the ends of some strings, so they don't grab at all!

OTOH, on my g**t*rs, Sperzels are the only way to go.

16. I love 'em--they're by far my favorite tuner, both for the (lack of) weight and for the feel.

Just a reminder, in case you're not aware of it--the screw hole location on the Ultralites is the same as the Gotoh sealed tuners, but different from the standard Fender-style open-back tuners. If you install the Ultralites, you'll have the old screw holes showing. Not necessarily a big deal, but it might be to some people. Also, the Ultralites come with a couple different shaft sizes, so be sure you get the right ones.

Mike