Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot ultralight tuner problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rdabbs, Dec 29, 2005.

1. rdabbs

rdabbs

May 1, 2003
    Mississippi
    Last night I spent about 2 hours cleaning out the metal filings from my hipshot ultralight tuners. They get to the point that it almost takes two hands to turn the tuning key. My primary bass is a Matt Pulcinella Guitars Level 5 that I purchased in 2001 and this is the third time I've had to do that since I've owned the bass. Has anyone else experienced this problem?? There is so much slack in the tuners that I am going to have to replace them.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Give HipShot a call. You never know, thay may replace them for you.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never had that problem with them.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've never had that problem with any of my basses that have Hipshot Ultralites.

I'd contact Hipshot - I'll bet there's a manufacturing defect with them, and that they'll swap them out for you. Give them a call - (607) 532-9404.

5. rdabbs

rdabbs

May 1, 2003
    Mississippi
    I called Hipshot Products this morning and spoke with Jason in tech support. It seems that around the time my bass was built, Hipshot had a bad batch (a very small batch) of tuners go out the door. As Jason said - "I guess you were one of the lucky ones". Anyway, Hipshot is replacing all my tuners free of charge. Jason apologized several times about the problem I was having and assured me the new tuners would be shipped early next week. I have to say that it is refreshing to see a company promote good service. It seems to be the exception and not the rule these days. Kudos to Hipshot Products....

Have a happy new year!

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great! It's nice to see good customer service.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool! I'll bet a supplier gave them the wrong gears or something like that - they don't mesh properly, so they consume themselves.

IMO, Ultralights are the highest quality tuners around. I'm glad to see they're standing behind them - but I'm not surprised!