1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot Ultralights for a Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CapnSev, Apr 16, 2009.

1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    So after playing an excruciatingly long gig the other night on my SR5, I had some left wrist pain (that I thought I was rid of) start to come back. It was caused on my old bass mostly due to neck dive.

The SR5 doesn't have a ton of dive to it, but it's certainly not light, and the neck does have some serious meat to it. Therefore, it does sag slightly. After about 4 1/2 to 5 hours I can feel it.

I was thinking of putting some Hipshot ultralights on it to change the balance and reduce weight. Any thoughts from folks who've done this? Is it worth the $120? (Which is ridiculous BTW, I know)

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I'd definetly try, extra light turners are the best thing since coca-cola.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Bump for some more input here...

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Nobody?

5. I don't have an SR5. But I am an ultralight user; I think they're great. Here's a thought: if it only dives a little, consider changing just two or three to ultralights instead of all five, because if you do it might be TOO light and want to stand up all the time.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I think Hipshot ultralights are worth it...

7. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Do that!
    I used to have the same problem with my Sterling so I replaced the heavy and old fashioned tuners for the Hipshot Ultralites.
    Bass is perfectly balanced now.

I don't understand why Ernie Ball Music Man is still using those tuners! Even on the so called "modern designed" Bongo basses

3325123324_59ee86b1dd.

3325123196_0385dcb42a.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That's what I wanted to hear! You haven't experienced any tone change, or dead spots? My only worry (besides the absurd price) is that my setup will completely change, and possibly create dead spots by not having that mass on the headstock. I'm not sure if that's even a legitimate fear or not.

9. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    No, never had any dead spots, even with the old tuners.

I also replaced the stock ceramic pickups for a Nordstrand (alnico) so there was a change in tone, for better! :)

The only noticeable change, as you can see, is the opened holes in the back of the head.

I don't really care about that but if people at EBMM weren't that stubborn I'd order another one with the Ultralites factory installed.

Anyway, this was a huge improvement on my bass and I'm really happy with it. Nothing is better than a well balanced instrument.

Hope that helps and good luck.

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Good to hear! I was looking at the differences today, and it would save me almost 3/4 of a pound in weight on my headstock!

Also, you used the 1/2 posts, not the 3/8" right?

11. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Yep, get the 1/2 posts.
    I'm not sure how much weight it will save but on my bass it made a huge difference.

You won't regret.

best

12. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I just switched out the stock tuners on my Warwick Fortress One for Hipshot Ultralites. I bet you'll notice an even bigger difference with those big Ray tuners. If you want to test the waters, do what was recommended to me by some other helpful TB'ers. If you have an approximate idea of weight difference between the Hipshots and the stock tuners (can't help you there), then simply remove enough of the stock tuners to replicate that effect. Strap on the bass and see what sort of difference it makes.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Whoops! I didn't mean to put a ? after the statement of how much weight it would save me, it was supposed to be an !.

I meant it will save me about 3/4 of a pound, while a 4-string set would save 1/2 pound on a headstock.

14. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I've had no experiences with hipshot ultralights but I can tell you from owning about 2 of their bridges and 2 of their bass trems that they make very high quality stuff.

I think the sperzel are lighter than normal??? I've had them on one bass and they were very nice as well(the same rediculously high price though).

I always wonder is the price so high because musicians don't often buy/upgrade their tuning keys>?