Hipshot Ultralite question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peck_Time, May 10, 2005.

1. I bought a set of Hipshot Ultralite bass tuners for my Epiphone EBO, hoping to reduce the neck-dive.

The EBO has 2 tuners on each side of the head-stock, so I need to disassemble 2 of the Ultralites to flip the tuning key to the right side.

Problem: I can't find the right size Allen key to unscrew the key!
    I took the tuners to my local guitar shop, and they didn't have any keys that fit either. I've sent 2 emails to Hipshot with no reply.
    I live in New Zealand, so most things here are metric. Is the Allen key some strange Imperial size?

2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    This is purely a guess, but since Hipshots are made in the US, I would think that they'd use imperial (standard). But yes, you would have to disassemble and flip.
  3. Jason Ungleich

Jason Ungleich Hipshot Products

Aug 5, 2004
    You need a 1/16 hex wrench.
  4. I emailed Hipshot again, and they sent me the Allen key!

For anyone who's interested, it is a 6-32 hex key.

My faith in Hipshot has been restored.
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Uh, 6-32 is an SAE thread size, not an Allen wrench size!
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    However, a standard #6-32 set screw uses a 1/16" key. A #6-32 socket head screw uses a 7/64, and a flat or button head #6-32 uses a 5/64.
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Hipshots will undoubtedly help, but a far more effective way to get better balance (and body positioning) on something like an EB0 is to move the strap pins. You can use duct tape to experiment, and one or two small holes in the back/side of an Epi EB0 aren't going to devalue it much.
  8. rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    Can you tell me the outcome of changing the EBO tuners to HIpshot Ultra-lites? Did it help?
    I removed one of the tuners from mine and tried it with a strap and the neck dive - while not completely gone was
    now barely noticable. I love so much about playing this bass with good flats on it but I hate neck dive and this is the Queen of neck dive.
    Let me know if the tuners help.
  9. this thread is almost a decade old...