Hipshot ultralite tuner-bushings installation question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TyKao, Feb 19, 2006.

1. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I tried to install a Hipshot "Ultralite" tuner on my Allparts 70s Jazz-repro neck today. I measured and drilled in all the screwholes without incident. However. the tuner bushings wouldn't go in all the way, so I started working on one hole bit by bit with sandpaper to get the bushing to come in all the way.

I guess I wasn't quite careful enough though, because the bushing now goes all the way down to the top of the headstock, but it's definitely not "snug." I can turn the neck upside down and tap the back of the headstock lightly and the bushing will come out. However, the bushing is threaded on the inside and if I screw in the tuner itself, the tuner brings the bushing flush to the headstock and nothing seems to budge.

As it is right now, can I just put the tuner screw in and keep the tuner as it is? Do I need to remove the tuner and try to refill the tuner hole in the headstock with wood putty?
  2. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Also, one of my Hipshot tuners doesn't seems to be a bit loose when you turn the peg. The other tuners seem to have a bit more resistance, but you can turn the peg on one of them very easily and the post seems to rattle easily. Can I fix it on my own or do I need to send it back?
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What you say, the hole has a tiny bit bigger diameter than the bushing? No problem. You just have to make sure it's screwed in tight.

As for the post or the key to be loose, well... it happens. Of the 6 I have, 2 posts are a bit loose and 1 key. Maybe I should've gone with Gotoh, and not import these, along with 25% tax...