1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot ultralite tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Liam Wald, Nov 19, 2018.

1. I switched the original tuners on my "77 Jazz bass to Hipshot Ultralites and the bass weight went from 9.75 lbs to 8.59 lbs measured on a digital scale.
    I can't believe how heavy those old tuners are (the kind with the big metal plate and four screws). I weighed the tuners after I removed them and they weigh 1.27 lbs for the set of four. Dang, I should have done that years ago! Best $60 I have spent in a long time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    dab12ax7ef, Inara, Bodeanly and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Love the Ultralites. I've been putting them on basses since the late '90s if the bass did not already have them.

3. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Love 'em! I'm also giving Sperzels a try next, which are also light.

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ultralites or Gotoh Res-o-lites, no reason to have that much weight on the headstock.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

really? $60 bucks? what's your source? thanks.

6. JRA likes this.
  7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I put these on everything. Amazing.

9. Yeah, I knew that they were non-USA. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Inara and JRA like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

thanks! :thumbsup:

11. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    I'm currently putting a parts bass together. I already have the body (sunburst PJ, SD pickups, tort pickguard, VVT controls, side jack). I'm trying to make it look like a Fender Custom Shop 2011 closet classic pro Precision Bass. I want it to have lollipop tuners too. I was looking at Hipshot and Gotoh lollipop tuners at the bay, but the 70's style ones, with the full plate in the back. What are the advantages of ultalite tuners besides the weight? I see that there are lollipop ultralites too.

12. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Weight matters. That’s about it

13. Harris74

Harris74

Sep 27, 2012
    Italy
    With Hipshot Ultralite i have reduced the weight of my Geddy Lee Jazz of 250grams and the difference is pleasantly noticeable :)