1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Ultralites don't cover peg hole on back

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I am not worried about the old holes from the mounting screws but the peg hole does not fully cover on the back of the headstock. Is there a known remedy for this? Thanks.

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I was told once to wrap O.D. of the nut with tape until it fits the hole as tight as possible and still rotate. When installing the tuner, it will in the center the tuner to the hole. Then align the tuner best you can from there, as the tuner will not completely cover the hole, but close.

3. Hi.

You need bushings to make it work.

The tape-trick may work for a while, but a solid bushing from a harder material will ensure troublefree operation.

Us machinist folks fire up our lathes, but since the problem is quite common one I'd imagine the parts distributors have such bushings in stock.

Regards
    Sam

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    With the original narrow post Hipshot Ultralights I usually keep the original headstock tuner bushings installed.

But if I remove the bushings or it's on a new neck I've flipped the Hipshot bushing washer over so the beveled side is towards the headstock, bevel down helps center the bushing as it's carefully tightened down on the tuner prior to drilling for the retaining screw. Once the retaining screw is set I can take it apart a flip the bushing washer over so it's bevel up if I want.

5. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm glad I am not the only one that has encountered this. I will try the tape trick first. I was thinking after I posted this are you supposed to use the thin flat washer on the back side of the headstock rather than the front to cover the gap?