Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot users - question about using it to tune up instead of down...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Hi,

I've got a 5-string and I have some songs I play in C where I tune my low B up a half step to C. I've often considered installing a hipshot tuner for this purpose. The thing that bugs me about it though is that the "normal" position for it would be the detuned position and I would flip it back up for the C tuning.

My question is: how annoying is it to have the lever flipped down when playing. Does it ever get in the way or is it distracting/annoying when the lever is in the detuned position? I'm just worried that it would bug me to have that lever sticking out all the time. Any opinions on that?

While on the subject, anyone have any experience with a bass that has Hipshot extender tuners installed on all of the tuning machines? I've got a Zon Sonus Special, and it'd be really cool if all I had to do to tune from standard tuning to "D" tuning (everything a whole step down) would be to flip the levers and go. But I wonder really how well they work, and if they would all fit on the headstock. I know that Joe Zon was able to do it with the hyperbass, but that is a 4-string. What do you think?

Any opinions on Hipshot detuners or any other similar products would be greatly appreciated.

You know, what I really need is a 5-string version of the Hyperbass' bridge. But I already asked Zon about it and they said they are custom built for them. Something like that would be really great for someone like me who uses a lot of tunings.
    Someday I'll finally get the balls to design and build my own bridge, patent it, sell it, and get rich. Then I could sit on my ass playing my bass all day every day. :)

2. If the detuning lever on the Hipshot is the smaller type eg. on Gotoh tuners or Hipshot Ultralights, it shouldn't really get in the way, but I had a problem with the large Fender type I put on my old Squier P bass; the lever is quite long and kept hanging down when flipped, and I managed to cut my hand by slamming into it to reach a low fret position, so I put a rubber band round the lever and the preset screw to hold the lever up.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I do have a 4-string Precision neck on a homebuilt (Warmoth body) bass, with a Hipshot on the E. I see no reason why you couldn't have the lever in the "detune" position most of the time -- mine does not extend betond the nut in the detune position. And it definitely does NOT swing loose as I understood MTR's descritption. Maybe I misunderstood.