Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot XTender/Music Man Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjigga, Feb 27, 2004.

1. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Ok, I have a Music Man Stingray on which I installed the Hipshot XTender key on the E string. With this tuning key, the post has no taper and the E string now has much less of an angle downward after crossing the nut than it did before or than the other strings have. Does this affect anything or is it nothing to worry about?

Dave

2. I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It strikes me that you would be in a better position to answer the question. Does the E have odd overtones? Buzz? Intonate badly? If not, you're good.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have had the occasional problem, it's almost always my fault for cutting the string short. Shoot an email to hipshot@hipshotproducts.com and ask if they can hook you up with a tapered post. They quoted me about $5.00 for the post and it's a quick, 15 second replacement.

5. I have a Hipshot Xtender on my Sterling and never had any problems... but like tplyons said try to leave the string long enough to get at least three wraps around the post...

6. Hipshot Xtenders are on most of my 4-strings (can't mess up the limited edition Warwick), and my direct dealings with the company have always gone well. I have a minimum of 2 wraps around the E string posts, even on instruments with angled headstocks.

7. how about OLP stingray copies?
    has anyone fitted a Hipshot detuner to one?
    do the screw holes line up as on a real Musicman?