1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Xtender w/ dblStop. Install question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rôckhewer, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Hello
    I have a question about the lever travel needed to achieve full secondary 'stop'. (Never played with one myself).
    I am putting 2 on a 4 string. On the E & G strings.
    I have limited space ... because the G string one, was an 'add on' after design .
    The top of ths picture shows how I will have them oriented in the standard position. Parallel to each other.
    Given that the first stop puts the lever somewhere around 45°.... Does it need to travel a full 90° to achieve the second stop?
    Or is where they are in the lower pic.... far enough?
    20181104_054745.
    See... the levers come to rest nicely there against the volute....
    I could shave it down more to clearance for more lever travel... but if I don't need to... I don't want to.
    They seem to want to flop around once the secondary tuning screw engages... And I don't want them to ever really come together (touch each other). Aligned as they are, it would be difficult to get a thumb in between them.
    If we can't do the G... because these aren't really designed to go on both sides of a wedge headstock... That will be sad:(

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    @Joshua ...
    Maybe we could slide this thread over to "Hardware''. As this is as much a question of functionality parameters/constraints ... as anything.
    Thanks

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The lever needs to travel far enough for that lower screw, that moves with the lever, to engage the stop and do the job planned for it. If you can achieve that with the lever touching the volute, everything is fine.

If you can't get the adjustment you need go ahead and shave the volute. The round ends of the levers can always be bent so there is a gap between them and the levers would then make contact closer to the pivot point. In this case, you need to keep an eye on those upper screws, they look like they could be a potential problem if you need much more adjustment.

Rôckhewer likes this.
  4. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    Sounds a bit scary?... little aluminium levers...
    ....snap!.... (awwww):banghead:
    Yup... it's close. Like... almost too close for comfort close.
    If it doesn't work, gonna have to abandon the one on the G in favor of a standard machine. :confused::rollno:

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    He could always cut one and get a longer one for the other side, keep the heads from colliding.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    You could also make thin shims for under the tuner mounting plate to raise it off the back of the headstock just enough to clear the volute.

I had to do that when putting an xtender on my old Gibson so it would clear the other tuner next to it.

Veneer or a few sheets of heavy construction paper glued together would work. Just make sure it’s the full size of the baseplate.

Rôckhewer and sissy kathy like this.
  7. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    +1... *This*^^^^
    THANK YOU!