Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hipshot xtender wrecking zero fret??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nowontonsforme, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Ive had a hipshot xtender key on my bass for a few days now, and im already starting to see tiny metal shavings on my fretboard from the zero fret. Is this gonna be a huge problem? How often would it need to be replaced vs the other frets? how expensive is it to change 1 fret out?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The bass I had one on didn't have a zero fret, but it had a plastic nut. I didn't have a problem, and the plastic nut is a lot softer than a fret.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Did you remember to put graphite, or any other lubricant in the nut slot when you installed the Hipshot?

4. Seems to me that's his problem: there is no fret slot. It's a zero fret he's dealing with. It seems to me like a fret would be less repsonsive to the friction of the stirng than a nut as Showdown said.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Duh. You're right. That's what happens when I post before caffeine-injection. :rolleyes:

6. would putting graphite on the zero fret help at all? the nut seems to be holding up fine, but im worried about burning through a zero fret in 6 months. its literally been 2 days, and theres as much shavings on the fretboard from he zero fret as there is when i change strings after 2 months from the normal frets. i use steel strings most of the time too. i know thats only gonna hurt the problem, but most nickel strings dont do it for me.

Ive never had anything refretted before, is it a big deal? there are a few luthiers in the area i would probably be willing to try, but no one outstanding that i know of.

7. If you want to virtually eliminate the wear, change out your nickel-silver fret for a stainless steel fret.