Hipshot Xtender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 26, 2002.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    How many people use a bass Xtender? Do you tune to D or C (or even B)? Do you find yourself using it often? Do you use it during a complete song or do you use it in the middle of a song? How long did it take you to adjust to using the different tunings? Do you use it on your four or five string bass?

In case you are wondering, I use one my old bass, but my old lady is getting me one for my Jazz bass for Christmas. I really can't live without it, one group i work with play R&B tunes in Eb a lot. I can't afford a five string right now (hard year).

let's hear your thoughts....:D
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'm very pleased with mine. It's kind of like having the extra low string when you need it but not when you don't. I tune the drop note to D and use it whenever I need that low D and especially a low Eb. If I am going to need those notes down low, I just play the whole song in drop mode. It took a little while to get the hang of it but once you train youself that while in drop mode, everything on the E string needs to be fretted two steps up to be correct, it comes pretty naturally.
  3. I also have one on a jazz special that I used to tune to B,a poor mans 5 string;) at the expense of your E,but now I have a 5 string:), so now I tune it to D..but back before I got the 5,that was a very important tool for me..I love it..all basses should have them on as "standard equipment" and they're well made...I never had a prob in the 6+ years its been on the bass...
  4. I use 'em on all of my 4-stringers...I definitely recommend for 4-string basses...I only tune mine down to D, though...