Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Xtender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 26, 2002.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    How many people use a bass Xtender? Do you tune to D or C (or even B)? Do you find yourself using it often? Do you use it during a complete song or do you use it in the middle of a song? How long did it take you to adjust to using the different tunings? Do you use it on your four or five string bass?

In case you are wondering, I use one my old bass, but my old lady is getting me one for my Jazz bass for Christmas. I really can't live without it, one group i work with play R&B tunes in Eb a lot. I can't afford a five string right now (hard year).

let's hear your thoughts....:D

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'm very pleased with mine. It's kind of like having the extra low string when you need it but not when you don't. I tune the drop note to D and use it whenever I need that low D and especially a low Eb. If I am going to need those notes down low, I just play the whole song in drop mode. It took a little while to get the hang of it but once you train youself that while in drop mode, everything on the E string needs to be fretted two steps up to be correct, it comes pretty naturally.

3. I also have one on a jazz special that I used to tune to B,a poor mans 5 string;) at the expense of your E,but now I have a 5 string:), so now I tune it to D..but back before I got the 5,that was a very important tool for me..I love it..all basses should have them on as "standard equipment" and they're well made...I never had a prob in the 6+ years its been on the bass...

4. I use 'em on all of my 4-stringers...I definitely recommend for 4-string basses...I only tune mine down to D, though...