Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hiram Bullock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by VJP, Sep 2, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Has anyone heard his latest? Just curious. I like Hiram alot & I love Will Lee, but Hirams last couple of albums have stunk. I'm afraid to drop $14 on it.

Any reviews?

Thanks
    Vinnie

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Haven't heard it. The cat could be one of the best on the instrument if he didn't drink so much! Plus I hate that frikkin' pedal he uses. Makes him sound like 2 cats meowing! I think it's a detuned delay or chorus. I bought a 'cassette' of his way back in the late 80's. Never again.

3. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Hiriam was the reason i got to see Jaco play in
    1985- A friend of mine "forced" me to see a
    Hiriam & Jaco show at a small club (200 people)
    just becouse he was a huge Letterman fan- I was
    /am a hardcore punker and would never go to a
    "jazz" show-even though I knew who Jaco was- I
    didn't appreciate him till I saw him play- even
    though he wasn't in his "prime", he still blew me away- and knocked back more than a few with us
    after everyone went home.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I agree with Hiram's albums being a little inconsistent. He's hit and miss for sure, but when he hits, he hits hard.

I'm a brutal lick stealer though, so there's always a couple tidbits for me to "appropriate" on every album. Plus, Will Lee's appearance is worth the price of admission to me, anyway.

I ordered "Try Livin' It" and I'm waiting for it now. I'll give the say so if I think it's something not worth picking up.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you like Hiram's singing[a aquired taste;)] you will dig it! I'm another one of those guys who will buy a album just to hear Will Lee. Hiram should just let Will Lee sing....he is a badass singer!!

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think his studio stuff is awful, but I really liked "Manny's Car Wash." Fun stuff and great musicianship all around. Will Lee does a great job coming up with parts that manage to both impress and fit the song.

7. I like Hiram Bullock's playing on Stink's version of "Little Wing". Very nice!