1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hiram Bullock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by VJP, Sep 2, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Has anyone heard his latest? Just curious. I like Hiram alot & I love Will Lee, but Hirams last couple of albums have stunk. I'm afraid to drop $14 on it.

Any reviews?

Thanks
    Vinnie

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Haven't heard it. The cat could be one of the best on the instrument if he didn't drink so much! Plus I hate that frikkin' pedal he uses. Makes him sound like 2 cats meowing! I think it's a detuned delay or chorus. I bought a 'cassette' of his way back in the late 80's. Never again.

3. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Hiriam was the reason i got to see Jaco play in
    1985- A friend of mine "forced" me to see a
    Hiriam & Jaco show at a small club (200 people)
    just becouse he was a huge Letterman fan- I was
    /am a hardcore punker and would never go to a
    "jazz" show-even though I knew who Jaco was- I
    didn't appreciate him till I saw him play- even
    though he wasn't in his "prime", he still blew me away- and knocked back more than a few with us
    after everyone went home.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I agree with Hiram's albums being a little inconsistent. He's hit and miss for sure, but when he hits, he hits hard.

I'm a brutal lick stealer though, so there's always a couple tidbits for me to "appropriate" on every album. Plus, Will Lee's appearance is worth the price of admission to me, anyway.

I ordered "Try Livin' It" and I'm waiting for it now. I'll give the say so if I think it's something not worth picking up.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you like Hiram's singing[a aquired taste;)] you will dig it! I'm another one of those guys who will buy a album just to hear Will Lee. Hiram should just let Will Lee sing....he is a badass singer!!

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think his studio stuff is awful, but I really liked "Manny's Car Wash." Fun stuff and great musicianship all around. Will Lee does a great job coming up with parts that manage to both impress and fit the song.

7. I like Hiram Bullock's playing on Stink's version of "Little Wing". Very nice!