1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hired Gun Documentary

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tfer, Dec 21, 2017.

1. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    It came up in my Netflix feed last night, so I watched it.

Really interesting show about playing in the studio and/or touring with huge acts (Ozzy, Alice Cooper, etc).

Billy Joel comes off as a complete douche.

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I saw this last week. Billy Joel did not come out clean on this one.

I've noticed that there are a lot of documentaries coming out lately on music/musicians where very little actual music is included. Probably budgets/licensing issues. This is one of those.
    A bit dry, but a reasonable tribute to the players. Jay Graydons, "I played the guitar solo on 'Peg'!" story was cool.

nixdad, DirtDog, tfer and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I believe I started a thread on this when it initially released.
    Doesn't seem like a lot of people have seen it...or maybe they just didn't like it.

It wasn't bad overall...some interesting stories but a bit too much heavy guitar for my taste..and yes, Billy Joel really didn't come out of this well.

nixdad, S-Bigbottom and tfer like this.
  4. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I think I added it to my list, but haven't watched it, Wrecking Crew, or the Tom Petty docs. No time for love, Dr. Jones.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I watched it a few nights ago. I dug it.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    The jam segments with Phil X et al were pretty fun. Phil X is such a character and a hell of a player. I could probably only stand to be in the same room as him for five minutes, though.

I'm no Billy Joel fan and he came off as a real douche.

7. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Pretty good doc. Don't know that there was much in it that I didn't know, but nice to see the light shine on the subject. Billy Joel does come across as an ass, but tbh, I bet that story is the same with a lot of solo artists and 'bands' where one guy is really the driving force. Labels rarely sign an entire bunch together. And business rarely has room for loyalty and sentimentality. Think that point comes across pretty well here in this doc.

nixdad and tfer like this.
  8. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I enjoyed it. Billy Joel didn't look great, but Richard Patrick (Filter) came across even worse.

tfer likes this.
  9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Haven't seen it yet. I greatly enjoyed The Wrecking Crew documentary.

10. The film starts with a few bona fide "hired guns" then morphs into "guys that were kicked out of bands"
    Interesting but was hoping for a documentary on actual hired guns and/or studio musicians.
    Still found the film enjoyable.
    Billy Joel couldn't be reached for comment.

nixdad likes this.
  11. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I enjoyed the documentary. A must see for anyone who claims to want to “make it” in the music business.