Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hiromi - Spiral

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Stop what you're doing now and go pick this album up! It's really that good. Hiromi, Tony and Martin are some of the most comfortable sounding musicians when they're together and it really shows on this record.

There are no synths on the album except for the last track, Return of Kung-Fu World Champion. Hiromi giving tribute to Bruce and Jackie as she says in the liner notes.

Sadly, Anthony doesn't guest on this album. Tony is really a player to watch out for though. His chops are amazing and he pulls out the fretless as well. Probably the one he's pictured with on the Fodera website. I really enjoy his playing.

Pick up the dual disc set and get a DVD with a video clip of the group playing Kung-Fu World Champion live. A cool little treat. It also has the 5.1 mix of the album on it as well, IIRC.

I hope I convinced you enough to give this album a chance. :)

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I didn't realize her new album was out yet. Her last album, Brain is amazing. I'll definitely pick up Spiral.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm cutting through the first track now. It's pretty groovy. I'm really like it. I hope the rest of the album is up here.

4. You won't regret it, Jason! It's a great album. Alot of solo work from Tony on there as well.

5. I'm sure you'll dig the rest of it!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Same with me- "Another Mind" is pretty good too. Jackson and Grey definitely have different playing styles- it'll be interesting to hear what a whole album of his playing sounds like (I haven't heard his whole solo album).

7. Hey BT,

I didn't get into Another Mind quite as much. When I think of Hiromi, it's piano, bass and drums for me.

Tony really holds his own in this album. Alot of soloing but it's done tastefully. Great fretless work too.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I've been meaning to pick it up and it sorta slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me!

9. No problem! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

10. i got it!!! the cd is amazing, love the interplay between the band. They show great chemistry/...

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, the guitar stuff by Bullock really dominates that one track (can't recall the name of it). I enjoy Tony's playing a bit more than the original bassist as well. I'm looking forward to hearing how the fretless works on the album-I imagine if there's no synth, fewer of the songs will be jerky and quick so it'll have the space fretless sometimes needs.

12. I'm sure you'll dig the three finger stuff that Tony breaks out as well. He can get pretty quick!

13. Anyone else pick it up yet? I listened to Spiral on the way to work tonight and am continually amazed.

14. I have this CD - I was lucky enough to see this band play at Ronnie Scotts in London last year and they are pretty fierce live - the unison lines are really impressive but start to batter your brain after a while - but Return Of the Kung Fu... whatever it's call is wicked and Hiromi also writes some great melodic stuff that's not really ballad-like but very tuneful. The two previous albums are actually a bit better than this one, but this is still a sh!t hot band made up of some very young, very talented players - can't wait of the next tour/album - they can only get better!

I'm off to see John Scofield tonight with Patituccci and Erskine and Joe Lovano - plus they are using an Orchestra conducted by Marc-Anthony Turnage doing stuff from the 'Scorched' album - should be a brilliant gig!

Cheers

Mike

15. As I posted earlier, I didn't get into Another Mind that much. Just not my favorite stuff that Hiromi has done.

Between Brain and Spiral, I'm not sure which I prefer more. They're both great.

I'm looking forward to great things for this trio. Hiromi appeals to fans of jazz that are purists as well as those who are on the cutting edge, so to speak. The band is very talented and I'm looking forward to the next album, even though this one just came out. :smug:

16. Yeah, to me Brain is still my favorite...

17. Cool.

May I ask why?

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I just picked up the album last night. Amazing! I'm really diggin' "Music for a Three Piece Orchestra" and "Love and Laughter."

19. Right on, Jason!

It really is good music. Tony really lets it go on this one. I was somewhat surprised to hear how much bass soloing there was on this record. All done tastefully of course.

Tony's fretless Fodera doesn't sound half-bad either, huh?! :smug: