1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hiss/buzz/noise that goes away when my bass is at certain angles.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StuFordBass, Sep 30, 2010.

1. So i've got a bass that makes a little high pitches hiss or buzz or whatever, but when the bass is perpindicular to the floor (like if you stuck the body against a wall) it goes away. Is this a sheilding issue or something?

Is it curable, or do i just need to lose weight until my bass can rest flat on me?

Edit: Problem fixed, it was due to faulty wiring in my 120 year old house. It would only hiss when I was using a certain circuit in the house. The hum from touching the pickups was fixed by reconnecting a ground wire.

2. i can get it to minimal by turning down the treb on my OBP2 but, i want that treble, and if i hold the bass just right there is no noise, even with full treble boost.

3. theres also a hum when you touch the pole-pieces.

should i just swap out the basslines pickups for some NS4JV's and hope they get wired right?

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

It is picking up noise from a particular source, and when you hold it "just right" it is at the position of least sensitivity to that source. In my office/studio my computer radiates like crazy (most do) and my single-coil basses are very sensitive to the position relative to the computer.

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

If your noise is highly positional (i.e. changes based on which direction your bass is pointing in space) I'd say that you need to shield that sucker!

There's a truly awesome shielding thread at the top of this forum. I followed it with great results. :)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021