1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hiss coming from my j bass, passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Sep 28, 2013.

1. It is a bit weird; if I put my and on any of the knobs, the hiss becomes much more quiet. Has anyone else experienced this? Frankly, the hiss drives me crazy; maybe it's a grounding issue as it seems to stop when i touch the knobs?
    thanks,
    fnord!

2. there will always be hiss on a jazz bass if both pickups are not on full / balance isn't in the middle. more hiss than that is probably a grounding issue

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Usually it's hum that goes away when you touch ground (metal knobs, jack, strings, etc.) An that means your bass needs more shielding.

But in your case, you describe it as "hiss" since the bass is passive, it has to be basically the same thing only there is something in the room creating a "hiss" as electrical noise (high frequency computer power supply?) rather than the usual hum. Fix is still the same. Copper foil shield job.