Hiss coming out of my amp/pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Twistad, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I recently assembled my first pedalboard and I can't get rid of a very high pitched hissing kind of sound.

My chain goes like this:

Boss Tuner
    Moog Ring Modulator
    Boss OC-2
    Mxr Enveloppe Filter
    Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

I've narrowed it down to the OC-2 being the problem because when I take it out, every other combination seem to work just fine.
    I power my pedalboard with a standard powerbar. Could that be the problem, or is it the pedal? When I play the OC-2 by itself, it works fine... Should I get a noise supressor? I want to add more pedals in the near future too.

Thanks a lot

2. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Have you tried putting the OC-2 before the Moog? Or after the Filter?

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    my money is on the moog. try just playing bass-moog-amp/whatever. i bet you get the same hiss, regardless of it being on or bypassed. the only option i know of is put it in a parallel or series loop. (i got one modded for other reasons, but wanted a true bypass mod, but unfortunately the way the board is mounted makes it a very risky mod, so its essentially impossible.)

EDIT: i reread your post, and a thought occurred: perhaps something in the 0c-2 (buffer...?) doesnt play well with the moog. i know for a fact that moogs are never, ever ever ever silent; just not happening. perhaps the oc-2 has a very small amount of hiss, or something else that doesnt play well with the moog. maybe also try bass-oc2-moog-amp

4. The moog by itself and all my pedal by themselves work quietly, that I know. I'm pretty sure the hiss is coming from the OC-2, because when I take it out of the chain, the hiss disappears.

Actually I still get a little bit of hiss when I crank the volume with tuner-moog-enveloppe filter-volume-amp, but nothing like when the OC-2 is in the chain.

If I do just OC-2 - Moog - Amp, I start getting a little bit of hiss.

The moment where it gets really loud is when I have all my pedals together.

Should I get a noise suppressor? Or is the problem with this particular OC-2 pedal?

5. it might actually be a power supply.

is your oc-2 at a diffrent voltage to your power supply?

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Boss pedals in general are known to be a little hissy at times, especially when you have multiple Boss pedals strung together. It has something to do with buffering, I think, but I am no electronic expert. The point is that there may not be anything actually wrong; it's just how Boss pedals are sometimes. I don't know if a noise suppressor would help or not. Sorry I'm not more helpful. :(

7. I use 9 volt adapter for the OC-2 into a standard powerbar. All the other pedals are 9 volts except for the Moog which is, I think, 110V.

8. well some pedals are just noisy

9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    if its down to the oc-2 (and youve checked ALL cables, pre amp, power amp, everything), then it could be the pedal needs some maintenance, or has solder cracks or something. if all the pedals have some hiss, check your power supply or upgrade (as has been stated).

boss pedals arent really that loud, to be honest. i have one that is, but its also a fuzz on a really aggressive setting, so thats to be expected. the tuner and oc-2 should be close to silent. moog pedals do add some hiss. that is a fact. however, if that isnt the major source of excess noise, and you know its the oc-2, then check your power, then get someone to check your oc-2.

a lot of that is redundant, but i cant think of any other options. i mean, your amp could just not like the augmented signal...? i dont know. that seems less likely (though ive had an eden pre create static due to worn out/cracked solder joints, so it can happen [it was 10+ years old at the time; not bad]).

let us know if that doesnt work. the mxr pedals should be silent too, so id ignore them. cables. pwer. oc-2. pre/amp. rinse. repeat.

10. I decided to get some new cables and I got rid of the Moog today, meanwhile I added a jamman looper and an MXR Blow Torch to my setup.

Now everything is super quiet, I think it was coming from the cables.

Thanks for the help

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021