Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hiss w/ Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake15, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Whenever I play my Ray I hear a very annoying hissing/humming sound. The bass is brand new and I have no idea what the problem could be. Its has a hum cancelling phantom coil in the pickup, yet the sound remains. It goes away when I turn the treble all the way down, but I like the tone with the treble. Please help!

Also, anybody have any good ways of cleaning the maple fretboard on a ray. I'm not sure because it isn't laquered.It is finished with gunstock oil and a blend of waxes.

Thanx, Jake

2. Try using a different cable.

3. I just got a Basslines MusicMan replacement pickup, I don't know if this applies to the original MM pickup, but the manual says:

"Note: In the series mode, there is significant hum, for quieter operation, refer to the modified wiring diagram."

This modified diagram reads "Using standard 3 way switch wiring, series output compensated by 6.8K resistor." instead of "... by 3.3K resistor".

I think you could find the diagrams in the SeymourDuncan.com site. If not, I can scan them for you tomorrow.

[]
    River

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i use Lem Oil for my maple fretboard... anybody else?

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

Could you scan them? I've got a MM Basslines pickup, and I didn't see anything about that 3way switch resistor mod.

thanks!

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yes lemon oil for the maple unfinished boards is what i hear is good..

Do you have your treble all the way up?

it would be odd but not unheardof for your ray to have a wiring problem. you may want to take it to wherever you bought it (if possible) and let them have a look.... sometimes it could be a fairly simple problem that is easily corrected.. it could also be your patch cable or maybe even your amp...

7. Ok I forgot again to bring the manual to work to scan it. :rolleyes: Can I say tomorrow again? ;)

Pedro

8. Ok here goes, attached.. (233 kb)

Pedro

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have an early SR5 and the stock preamp was not, IMO very good. I had hissing trouble with mine too, and was sorta disappointed with it. As soon as Seymour Duncan came out with their Basslines MM preamp I bought one. What an improvement! The hiss is not nearly as bad and it seems to be more responsive. Maybe you should try one. Anyone else have any opinions on this?