Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HISS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Dec 12, 2001.

1. today, when i went to a friend's house to jam, i started to notice a rather loud, annoying hiss out of my amp. I'm not sure whether it is my L-2000 or my Squier BP-15. It never did this before...but today it did. I also noticed that my battery is kinda weak...but before i went to my friend's house, i was loading the bass (inside the hardshell case), it fell over on the ground...it didn't fall hard...it only fell over (tipped over). But it was snug in the case. When i plugged it in at my friend's house...it hissed rather loudly. What the heck is up!?

is it because the battery power is low? or what? It hisses loud in passive and active.

2. oh yeah...also...there is a drastic change in the volume in the passive and active modes. In passive it is louder...in active it is not as loud...i haven't changed my battery yet because i can't find a 9V.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    what kind of pickups does your squier has?

4. i'm not talking about my Squier bass...i'm talking about my Squier bass amp.

5. If your active p/u tone is louder than the passive, you've either got a dead 9v battery (most likely cause), or something has been knocked out of whack when the bass fell over (doubtful).

Buy a new 9v, and have a spare handy...some preamps die hard and fast when the battery dies (which is why rechargeable Ni-Cds suck for this purpose).

6. well i think i found the problem.

i took the 9V out of the bass and the his was gone!

Does this mean that the weak 9V battery in the bass was causing the bass as a whole to hiss?

Maybe with a fresh 9V, the bass will be ok...but i have noticed the bass to a slight, slight change in tone...it actually now sounds like a real passive jazz bass. Maybe the battery is still being used when it is in the bass all the time, even if you are going passive...maybe?

damn i love this bass!

7. well i have the BP15 amp too, and i kno this thing hisses like crazy. i think its jus the way the amp is.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If it was the battery, wouldn't it give a dirty tone, instead of a hiss. That's always been my experience.

It's your 1000th post! Tell 'im what he's won Bob!"

"A year's supply of Turtle Wax, and the home version of Talk Bass.com!"

9. well now that it has no battery in it, it has no hiss or noise whatsoever. I guess that when my battery gets weak, mixed with the "state of the art electronics" in the BP-15 ;) , it gives an annoying hiss.

but this bass has awesome jazz bass/p-bass passive tonal capabilities, but i never use the
    p-bass tone anyway...oh yeah...the only hiss i get is when i go series with both pickups on at the same time.