Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hisses makin pi$$ed

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    how do remove the hissing in my tracks i think it may be room noise because im using mikes but i dont know how to get rid of either. im using cubase.

2. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    It is best to remove the hiss before you record the tracks. I always think of a grounding problem when I hear hiss. If you are using cables that go from xlr to say a standard 1/4" that could be your problem. Do you have fans in your computer? Air conditioner? Ceiling fan? What kind of mics? Are you going through a mic preamp such as a mixer? Start with just your bass and amp. Does it hiss? Try the mic and preamp. Does it hiss? Try to locate the his and then report back.

It will be impossible to completly remove the hiss once the recording is complete. If you are just recording a bass track try cutting the higher highs, this may help. I haven't ever used cubase so I don't know what kind of eq it has. Try cutting different frequencies until you find the area of the hiss and then cut that frequency as much as you can without killing your sound.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What software are you using to record with?

I had the same problem while I used the internal Wav recorder in Windows. It didn´t matter if I plugged my bass straight into the comp, via the line out on the amp or bass -> sansamp -> computer. Nothing worked right and always damn hissing.

Then I installed Cool Edit Pro and voila! Worked perfectly, no hiss.