1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hissing from Bongo 5HH

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Jun 20, 2017.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    i just got a new Bongo, and I'm trying to diagnose a constant "hiss" coming from the bass. The hiss is present no matter what pickup setting is selected and is not cured by putting hands on strings. I have eliminated all other possible sources, going direct to multiple amps, and still having the same issue. No other bass I own (8 currently) have this sort of hiss. The hiss is present across a wide swath of the frequency spectrum, and can only be reduced with dramatic eq cuts. Batteries have been replaced, multiple cables tested. Issue still persists.

I'm working with EBMM now, but curious if anyone else has had this issue with a Bongo HH.

2. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Haven't experienced this on any of my EBMM basses, but it sounds like a preamp issue. Assuming the bass is still under warranty, have them send you a new preamp.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had one back in 2012 and it was super quiet. EBMM has legendary customer support so I'm sure they will take it back and either fix it or send you another one.

4. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well.....EBMM believes this may be the "normal noise floor" for this bass, and is suggesting finding another to compare it to.

5. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Bumping this for additional feedback. EB is telling me that the hissing in my bass is the normal "noise floor" and can't be eliminated.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I may be picking one up saturday. Ill check it out.

7. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    That's odd. I have two Bongos (4H & 4HH), and neither one hiss -- they're dead quiet. Something isn't right there.

I'd keep pestering them until they take care of it for you. If you suggest you're considering just returning it and going with something else, they'll probably get a little more motivated.

coyoteboy likes this.
  8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks. Try it at gig volume. I'd love to hear what you find.

coyoteboy likes this.
  9. ReviveBass

ReviveBass Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    I have a 2006 stingray 5HH that when the treble is anywhere besides all the way cut, there is a large amount of hiss. I was in contact with ebmm and checked everything they suggested to with no resolution found. I have figured out that if the bass is layed down the noise goes away, which completely confused me at first. Hopefully a resolution is found for the OP because it sounds like an identical problem to mine.

guy n. cognito likes this.
  10. Ken R

Ken R

Jan 14, 2007
    Howell NJ
    Both my 4Hp and my 4HH Bongo basses are silent. Both my Big Al basses 4SSS and 4H are silent too. They also have the Bongo Preamp.

coyoteboy likes this.
  11. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    might be in the AC line. I had a hiss when treble was cranked and when I moved to newer house the hiss went away