1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hissing Intermittent Noise in Avatar Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Oct 4, 2009.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I am trying to trouble shoot an intermittent noise that seems to be associated with digging in on the D (5th fret A) and its octave. If I hold the notes out for a while, they get the static as the notes decay. Once I get it going it is pretty pronounced but I gotta pick at it to get it started.

I had problems with my HD-350 way back and thought maybe is was the head. But if I run it thru an Aggie 112 cab, no hiss.

It seems to be when I run it with the Avatar cabinet and I have switch speaker cables. I turned the tweeter completely off and this helped but did not fix it. Does this sound like a blown speaker? I guess not given that the tweeter turned down seem to eliminate much of the hiss?

2. chasegriff

chasegriff

Nov 19, 2007
    Sounds like a ripped speaker to me.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds more like a buzz than a hiss...resonating at those frequencies. the trick is to find out if it is a bad speaker or a resonance or anomaly with the cab itself.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Check the torgue on the speakers. Once I thought I had a blown speaker. Buzzed at certain frequencies. It turned out to be a loose T nut inside the cab.

5. I just went thru this same problem with my Avatar 410 Neo and it turned out to be a loose screw on the tweeter. 1 of the four screws that hold the horn itself to the driver. Tightend all four, problem solved. Hope this helps.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Thanks guys. I will take a look at the hardware.