Hissing noise in amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.R.1, Feb 13, 2005.

1. J.R.1

Aug 7, 2004
    :meh: :rollno: :help: Hi all, I bought a used Peavey Minx 110 Bass amp. I like it's size and portability, but what I don't like is the fact that you have to turn the toned knob on my bass all the way down, and the bright button on the amp, else you get a terrible HIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS sound, and the strings pop like gunfire whenever you touch them. Any suggestions on how to fix this, or should I just suffer till I can afford a good bass amp?
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sounds like you may have a dangerous ground problem.

If you can, return the amp.

Otherwise get it fixed.

1. Does it have a three prong plug on the power chord? If not, put one on.
    2. Is the receptacle that it is being plugged into grounded? If not, find a different plug in.
    3. Are your pickups properly grounded to the bridge on your bass? Take the cover off and check.
    4. Do you realize that if you press the 'bright' switch in it will basically add more treble and hiss? Read the manual.
    5. Is your treble knob on the amp turned up too high? Brain fart.
    6. Does your bass have active electronics and your battery is starting to fail? Change the battery.
    7. Does your bass have active electronics and the ground wire has come loose from the bridge? Check it.
    8. Does your bass have active electronics and the gain on your treble circuit is set too high? If it is adjustable, get a jewelers screwdriver and turn it down.

Ugh...that's enough for now.

Good luck!