Hissing problem with a Hartke Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbourgon, Jan 31, 2005.

1. :help: I have obtained a Hartke 1400 Bass Amplifier hooked up to a 12" aluminum come speaker. When I turn it on it makes a dull hissing noise (with nothing plugged into the input jack). When I plug in a 1/4" plug, the hiss gets louder (w/ or w/o a bass attached to the instrument cable. If I turn all of the EQs down as far as possible, the hiss is minimized, but still present. I am very ignorant on amplifier technology, but I was hoping that someone with experience in this area might be able to give me some pointers on what I can try to have my amp hiss free. The amp is 140W @ 4 Ohms and 80W @ 8 Ohms (I don't know how I would switch that or why). And has a 68.9 dBm Signal-to-Noise ratio. If anyone could give me anywhere to start, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Are you using a grounded plug? If not that could be a problem. Have the same problem with my Hartke 5000, but no matter what I do I still have hum. Passive or Active pickups, grounded or not, unless I have my fingers in the strings I get hum.

It's not much help but that's how my Hartke is.
  3. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Does the cabinet have a tweeter in it? If so, can you turn it down or off?