1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hissing problem with a Hartke Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbourgon, Jan 31, 2005.

1. :help: I have obtained a Hartke 1400 Bass Amplifier hooked up to a 12" aluminum come speaker. When I turn it on it makes a dull hissing noise (with nothing plugged into the input jack). When I plug in a 1/4" plug, the hiss gets louder (w/ or w/o a bass attached to the instrument cable. If I turn all of the EQs down as far as possible, the hiss is minimized, but still present. I am very ignorant on amplifier technology, but I was hoping that someone with experience in this area might be able to give me some pointers on what I can try to have my amp hiss free. The amp is 140W @ 4 Ohms and 80W @ 8 Ohms (I don't know how I would switch that or why). And has a 68.9 dBm Signal-to-Noise ratio. If anyone could give me anywhere to start, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Brian

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Are you using a grounded plug? If not that could be a problem. Have the same problem with my Hartke 5000, but no matter what I do I still have hum. Passive or Active pickups, grounded or not, unless I have my fingers in the strings I get hum.

It's not much help but that's how my Hartke is.

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Does the cabinet have a tweeter in it? If so, can you turn it down or off?