hissing sound from amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steviecsg, Oct 7, 2003.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    My bass produces a hissing sound when i turn the treble high on the amp.

However, this is not an issue on a different amp. In fact it is dead quiet.

My guess is that the hissing has to do with the sensitivity of the tweeter's attenuator.

By the way, anybody know what the attenuator adjustment knob does? The cab in question is a trace 2103H

2. Well, the knob attentuates the tweater.....

Seriously, it should control the output of the horn, best bet is play a note and adjust, that way you'll get a real time feel for what it does!

As to the hissing - it the treble or high frequency controls on your amp cranked right up when you notice the hissing??? Sounds like you have a big treble boost on!
  3. ive got a hissing prob too
    i figure its easier to to post there than start a new thread

ive got hissing
    which im guessing just comes with a tube preamp

however sometimes, once every few minutes, the hiss seems to "flutter". its a weird noise, kinda static, but fluttering describes it best i think. so yeah. I dunno if i need new tube for the preamp, or if something is genuinely wrong.

thanks alot

and sorry for butting in on this thread
  4. i knew a guy that had the same sort of problem with the hissing from the treble, and he solved the problem by replacing the driver, but then again this was also an amp from the 70's so i dont know if that had anything to do with the driver quality...
    i figured that since there was a thread about hissing i would ask a question also.. i have a 1999 Warwick Streamer Standard 4string and a Crate BX-15.... when i turn the tone knob clockwise it makes a hissing sound come from my amp and i was wondering if it is the bass or the amp... i havent been able to try my bass on another amp yet but maye someone has run into a similar problem with a warwick or something.... and does anyone know if i can put an EMG 5.1 into my warwick? the emg website says it is only for use with emg pickups and i have MEC's i dont think it should cause a problem but maybe one of you knows for sure... thnx alot...
  5. All amps have some noise. If you turn the Treble all the way up, you're most likely going to hear some hiss, that's just the way it is.

More to the point, why are you guys running with your treble turned all the way up? You do realize you're playing bass, right? :D

6. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002

My bass is a status energy V with EMG BTC controls using stock hyperactive pickups.

No problem with other amps, just this particular amp I get the hissing sound.

So I guess one can safely rule out the compatibility issue.