Hissing tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dorito200, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Dorito200

Dorito200

Feb 25, 2020
    Hello all,

As of today, I am the proud owner of a 1989 Yamaha BB200F! I got it for a steal at a local shop today, but I'm having an issue with it. Before I checked out they were nice enough to hit the pots with some DeoxIt and it stopped the majority of the hissing, but now the hissing is back. The hissing correlates directly with the tone pot, no hissing when it's off and lots of hissing with it's open. I checked the ground to the bridge and made sure it was well grounded, but that's where my electronics knowledge stops. Could it be a bad pot? Bad wiring? Bad cap? Either way, I hope I can get this fixed soon so I can use this bass to its full potential. And the hissing was not as prevalent at the store or else I would not have bought it, but it's a great sounding fretless P style bass and I would like to get it to full working order.

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Can we get a recording of the noise?

Are you able to test the bass in a different environment - i.e. at a different house or through a different amp/cable and plugged into a different circuit in your house?

Sometimes noise that's present because of interference or wiring issues will go away when you turn the tone knob down - it's not inherently caused by the knob itself, the pot is often in good shape and turning the tone control down makes the (high pitched) interference shunt to ground so you no longer hear it.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022