1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hissing Treble Trouble

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChloroPhil315, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hello! This is my first time actually really getting involved on the site rather than just reading everything and a post earlier.. Anyway! I have had a terrible hiss coming from my Peavey Cirrus Bxp 5 string since the day I bought it. I can turn the treble down but the bass seems to lose that little sparkle i get from the added highs. It just feel like the tone I love to hear never shines through because of this. Everyone always tells me to roll my highs off so that it cant be heard. I was hoping someone would know how to fix this problem and be able to offer some advice as i have never dealt with anything like this before and i have been putting this off for far too long (i got the bass on memorial day in 2008 at guitar center in boston). Please and thank you for any advice! :help:

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Every audio device has some amount of hiss, although it may be barely audible.

Hiss is generally dependent on the quality of the electronic components and the electronic circuit design of the preamp. There's nothing you can adjust on the bass to correct this other than to turn down the treble.

Its possible that there is a defect in the preamp. Although from what I can find, its a relatively inexpensive bass so it may just have a low cost preamp.

One possibility may be to use a noise gate pedal to kill the signal when you're not playing a note.

Others may have better suggestions.

3. Thank you for your time and help! I have found the same results while looking on my own and was curious to whether or not anyone would know more than i do as to whether it was something that could be fixed.

I really do appreciate the help.

It is a relatively inexpensive instrument. They used to go for around 700 new and mine was 400 when i bought it and i always thought that had something to do with it as there were a couple of minor blemishes on it as well.

Ahh well. I guess all i can do is buy another bass that doesnt have this problem!

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You can always swap the preamp out for something better. Not cheap, but not the price of a new bass.

5. That is something i had never considered before. I feel like that would be something i would do after buying another bass though. While i do love playing it at times i find myself wanting something lighter with a satin finished neck that is bolted and not neck through that has different pickup arrangements than the two soapbar set up. I really want to find a bass that feels right. It is something i will definitely look further into though!

6. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    The hissing is the pre amp. I had a 4 string Cirrus BXP, it always hissed unless I took all the treble out. US made preamps run I think about $60.

I felt the same as you, while it was a beautiful bass, I just couldn't love the bass all the time. Visually, it was awesome. Playing alone, hiss aside, it sounded great. Band setting- worst bass I own. No matter how loud I was, I couldn't hear a thing I was doing. Traded it for an amp and have been rocking my fender jazz since.

7. That is exactly how i feel. I dont worry too much about not being heard because when i do jam with people i tend to havethe bigger amp so i can fill the space that a guitarist does not and i never really get to play with a drummer or any other muscian for that matter. I dont think i would get rif of it or trade it for anything, but i will defintely research and play a lot more before making another purchase.-