1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hissing when i play

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by João Bourgard, Aug 3, 2012.

1. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Sup guys...
    Hoping you can help me with a problem... not a big problem but still, a annoying one...

I have a multieffect pedal connected to my combo amp and when i play there is a hissing (dont know if its a hissing or static) that imiddiatly stop when i muffle the strings... With the bass plugged directly to the amp or the pedal bypassed the hiss is not there...

Any thoughts on how to work this out?

Cheers

2. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    also if i turn the treble down the sound becomes less lounder

3. KentClarkOnBass

KentClarkOnBass Supporting Member

Well, to start with the bas(s)ics, look for a button on the back of your multi-effect pedal called "ground lift". Try toggling that back and forth (or in and out) to see if it makes a difference. You might be getting buzz or hum if your grounded circuit is picking up interference, removing your pedal's ground from that circuit ("lifting") might fix the problem (apologies to the sound engineer purists, I know that isn't exactly how ground lift works).

Since it stops when you mute the strings, I'm actually thinking it might not be ground lift. Sometimes certain effects on a multi-effect pedal just add noise, as part of the digital processing it is doing on the signal. They're not perfect, so they'll add in noise if there's any signal at all (but not if the strings are entirely muted). So try different effects... if the hiss only happens on certain effects, you're just going to have to live with it, or get more expensive effects. If it happens across all effects... I'm out of ideas.

If it turns out the hissing was coming from the crowd? Just play them some reggae, that always calms them down. ;-)

4. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    I have tryed lift the ground and its not that problem.. maybe its the pedal adding sound like you said...

have to live with it i guess....

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It sounds to me that it might be single-coil hum or RF noise from improper shielding in your bass.. Does the problem occur when you're not plugged into the MultiFX?

6. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    nope... bass directly plugged to the amp does not create the problem...
    Its an esp ltd with active EMG-HZ pickups

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    EMG HZ's are not active - they're passive, but they are hum-cancelling. If the issue does not occur with the bass plugged into the amp, the hum is most definitely coming from the Multi FX unit. It's hard to say if it's a ground loop or just a noisy circuit, but it is most likely a ground loop. They do make filters to take care of this, but you might want to try various methods of debugging first.

This article might be of some use to you: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/c.../ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

8. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    What kind of filters? a noise gate?

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It sounds to me like you have a noise gate or on your multi-fx unit which opens up when you play and and closes when you stop.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Sorry, "filter" was the best word I could think of at the time. I was thinking about one of these in which to plug your FX unit. They're a bit expensive, though, which is why I recommended going through and verifying that it is actually a ground loop with the unit that is causing the issue.

11. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    What multifx is it?

12. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Its a zoom b2.1u multifx pedal...
    I came to the conclusion that the multifx has a noise gate buildt in that opnes up when i play.... hence the hiss when i hit the strings...
    Any thoughs?

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    All the noise gate is doing is stopping the hiss that is there when you're not playing.

I did a search for "Zoom B2.1u Hiss" and both this TB link and this BassChat link popped up on the first page. The OP never came back and discussed whether or not he resolved the issue, but the suggestions were to give the Zoom an isolated power outlet and to go through and check the gain and input level settings. That hiss could very well be a byproduct of gain use in trying to boost the signal.

14. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah the zoom has it's own isolated power outlet along with the amp...
    Can you explain to me how can i adjust the gain?

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    You'll have to read the manual to work on changing presets. I'm not familiar with your FX unit.

16. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah i know how to do that... just need to know how can i adjust the gain..
    like reduce it until it stops hissing? the thing is.. the gain from the preset i use is 0 in the multifx pedal.-. i add gain in the amp itself...

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Do any of the effects in the chain have individual gain levels?

It's really hard to tell you what to do when I don't have the unit in front of me. The best I can suggest is to start turning off effects one-by-one until the problem goes away, this will tell you where your problem lies effects-wise and you can try to work around it.

18. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    The problem is that the chain is this:

ESP LTD b-204 -> multifx pedal -> amp

this is a practice setup i use at home.. my independent pedals are in my band's rehearsal room

:p

19. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    ok i came across something odd...
    The hiss becomes louder in some parts of my practice room..
    for instance, in the middle of the room (the amp is in a corner) the hiss is soft, hardly noticeable... if i step in front of the amp the hiss becomes louder, no suprise here...
    Now for the wierd part... if i step in front of my computer screen the hiss becomes lounder again, the screen is across the room from the amp...

any thoughs?
    bass isolation problem maybe?

Any cheap way to do that? I think i read somewhere that there is a cheap way to do it....

cheers
    keep those ideias or sugestions comin ;)

20. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Does it hiss without the zoom?