Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hissing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timbo, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Alright, here's my problem.. Well not really a problem just see if there's anything I can do about it. My pickups ( I think ? ) or possibly my preamp hiss when I turn my blend controls up so it gets all the highs, is there anything I might be able to do about that? I apparently have 2 volume knobs and 2 blend knobs. 1 of each for each pickup. Here's the specs directly of the site,
    Spector ReBop 5,

• Passive EMG-HZ USA EMG pickups with Spector Active TonePump™ Circuit, Black Hardware

• Same Legendary, 5 Bolt, Deep Inset Neck Pocket as the U.S.A. Bolt-On Series

• Spector Crown Pearl Inlays (New!) Graphite Reinforced 3 Piece Rock Maple Neck, 24 Fret Rosewood Fingerboard

• Special Spector Machined Aluminum Bridge--Same style as USA Neck Thru Bridge - DeLuxe sealed tuning machines

• Carved Solid European Alder Body available in Natural Oil Finish or High Gloss in Tobacco Sunburst or Black Cherrybu

I was just curious, it doesn't really bother me that much, but no hiss is better than some hiss..

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can't have two volume knobs and two blend knobs.

Your control config is either volume, blend, bass, treble or volume,volume,bass,treble. I believe the rebop's use vol/vol/bass/treble.

From what I know, the TonePump preamp is like the Aguilar obp-1 which spector used to previously use.

So the bass and treble controls are boost only, and I'd imagine you're hearing hissing because you're turning the treble all the way up.

Take a look at the Spector bass manual, which you can download from http://spectorbass.com/images/manualweb.pdf

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, I have to agree with David. Pickups cause a great many noises, but hiss is generally not one of them. Hiss usually comes from the preamp and is always made worse by turning up the treble.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hmm... Alright thanks for the info.