1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Historic attitudes towards the bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dbass26c, Jun 7, 2014.

1. dbass26c

dbass26c

Apr 9, 2014
    Hi folks,

I'm working on an assignment at the moment and I'd like to find credible examples of people's attitude towards the double bass throughout its history. I gather that until recent history (post Karr) general public opinion of the bass wasn't very impressive, but it'd be nice to have some solid source material. I'm not particularly interested in the obvious historical exceptions (Dragonetti / Bottesini / etc.), but more of what was the common standard of the day… published reviews, letters, etc. would be fantastic! For example I have just come across a letter from Verdi to Bottesini asking for a fingering for the Othello soli section because his orchestra's bass section was unable to play it.

Many thanks in advance, and I'm sure whatever turns up, this will be an interesting topic to discuss… I've posted this in a couple other relevant threads, it's just a shame that there isn't a history thread on talkbass.