Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

History Camp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 9, 2004.

1. My classmate is at History Camp... Hes kinda a weird kid so i kinda saw this coming, but honestly History Camp. Any other strange camps out there that you guys want to announce?

Edit by Jazzbo. Paniak17, we would like to avoid vulgarity in any form or context at the forums, as they are viewed by members of all ages and backgrounds. Therefore, phrases like "***" are not allowed, even though they are simply initials. If you have any questions, please PM me.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm going to a Guitar Camp in August

:eek:
    What a blasphemy!
    :eek: :scowl:

:bag:

:p
    Actually I got in to teach bass, but there were no applicants for it... :(
    But now i'll go jam with the others and enhance my chording skills and learn some more theory

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Could be worse. It could've been breath mint camp or carrot camp or something like that.

But at least history is cool.

4. *gag*

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Beatles are history, and you don't seem to have a problem with digging them... ;)

What does this history camp entail? Do they re-enact certain periods of history?

6. they learn about history, all day, its like going to school but only one subject...ahhhh the boringness!!!

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    History can be interesting, you can learn from it... At least if its not taught... if its told in interesting stories and little anecdotes, it can be fun

8. ahhhhhhhhh whats wrong with you people! its history! :D

9. I'd be all over that history camp thing!

It'd be great to say "The Spanish American War was the thinnest pretense to a war. Imagine the United States going to war without the slightest bit of solid evidence of wrongdoing by the offending nation!!" and have someone have the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    As a holder of a BA and an MA in history, I find the idea of history camp exciting. Americans are incredibly ignorant of their own history and that impacts every other aspect of their lives. Without a solid understanding (at least basic understanding) of history, how can any American even imagine that they can make wise political, economic, or social decisions.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And you havent even come to the maths part :D :p :smug:

Sorry if i was offensive, but from what i've so far heard about the American school system, :meh: :eyebrow: :eek: :rollno: is the type of faces i make...

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    History camp is where they send the rejects from Space Camp for being too geeky ;)

Actually, I love history. Particularly art history, although to a point they're almost the same, as a lot of the history we know is through artwork.

13. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA, funny faces!

14. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I watched a special on cable the other day about a male (supposedly straight) sexual enhancement camp in the Arizona desert. First of all, there was a statue of a wiener, no joke. Than all these dudes ( no women allowed) hang around each other all day naked, massaging each other, doing very disturbing stretches, and other things that are not mentionable on this site. History camp sounds like heaven compared to that camp!

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    haha, i got the history and politics scholarship for my next two years of school so it sounds quite enjoyable to me too :p

16. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    No offense taken. American school systems are as diverse as the students who attend them. Yes, our large and complex systems of education are showing their age, but if they are seen as comparatively poor in academic achievement compared to the rest of the world it is because a major part of the American system is dedicated to socialization. In European systems (mainly described as "dual school" systems here in the U.S.) academic competition is the norm. Those who do well are given an academic curriculum that is designed to send them to college. Everyone else goes to vocational training. The competitve nature of American academics is tempered by the relative ease of getting access to higher education (college). If you don't make the grade for a four-year university, then a community college is probably just around the corner.

17. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Excellent!

18. Folmeister,

I have a great love for history, I took loads of history courses- way removed from my declared major of Physical Therapy! But what do you do with a BA and MA in history besides teach?

I think the key to really "getting" history is to realize it's not a bunch of old guys doing stuff a long time ago- these people were like you and me. Some of the color footage of WWII really brings that time to life.

19. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Aaaahh, an excellent question (tent fingers like Montgomery Burns)! Well . . . . . you play bass! Most history majors either go to law school, teach, or wait tables. I teach so I try and avoid having to answer that question.

"Getting" history is really subjective. It's all about finding the present in the past, be it an appreciation for vintage Fender basses or intimate understanding of the political process in this country. I have those color films on tape and I also think they are amazing. Bringing the past to life can be as simple as realizing the world was a colorful today as it was in the past.

20. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Doesn't anyone else watch the History Channel?? There are so many good shows on there. Turn it on right now, I bet there is something interesting on. Do it!