1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

History of Fender bass neckplates?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, May 31, 2011.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I wonder if people could submit what they know as to what years correspond to which neckplates?

I.e. I think early basses just had a serial number. Then there are "F" plates, "Fender" plates and I'm sure many others.

This would be helpful in distinguishing a possible parts bass from an actual Fender. Thx.

If you have links, that would help also :bassist:

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
  3. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Thank you very much - that's great for historic and collectible instruments. What about for modern, run-of-the-mill MIAs, MIMS, MIJ, MIK, etc.

If it says "Fender" on the headstock, should it still say "Fender" on the plate? I am trying to ID a MIK Fender (not Squier) I bought off CL. It has a body that was likely repainted and the neckplate has nothing on it.

4. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    As far as I know most modern Fender's have blank neckplates. Some signature models have engraving on the plate but thats about it. Most MIA and MIM's have serial numbers on the headstock and some MIJ or CIJ have them on the back of the neck by the heel.

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    One day Leo Fender took a sheet of metal. He cut a square in it. He drilled four smaller holes on the square. He then used this to cover up the hole in the guitar/bass body where he hung the bodies up to paint. The end.

6. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    Blank neckplates were only on the non-US Fenders (some japanese did say Fender, and some mexican have an "F" plate), but the US Standard Fender never came blank. From 60's on until 1983 they came with an "F". Afterwards they had the modern Fender logo. Then they added "Corona" to the logo and in late 90's they switched to the 50's Fender logo. Exceptions may be the American Special series, Highway one, American vintage, Limited Editions and signature models.

7. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    There ya have it. My Fender's are all old so I was just going by what I remember about the newer ones. Still the serial numbers aren't on the neck plates anymore.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    2011 Precision:

$%28KGrHqUOKjME1%29fquDZBBNcZS98!kQ~~_35.

9. Totally cool! I have a '11 P in the way.

10. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Thanks! Very helpful. I didn't figure modern fenders would be blank - even Squiers have a Squier logo on theirs.

Wonder if anyone has a Korean or a Mexican they could comment on?

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Hmm...there are lots and lots of Fender and Squier variations.

Mexican Fender neck plates up to the "Celebration" neckplate in 2011 are all blank. There MAY though be very very few limited runs with some sort of stamps on them - 60th anniversary runs...but I've yet to see any myself. Korean Fenders? Those are blank too.

12. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Fender didn't waste much time stamping low-end guitars. Post-2000 alot of these neckplates have a couple small stickers on them (like a 'trash-can' symbol sticker and a "CE" sticker). Not always, but sometimes. Japanese Fenders sometimes have these stickers as well. They are not found on pre-1998 Fenders, that I've ever seen. Japanese Fender Reissue neck plates have larger countersinks and larger head screws than the Mexican neck plates. Squier neckplates are generally quite thinner than Fender neckplates and they often have screws that are half-threaded.

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I could give you a more comprehensive idea of neck plates outside those areas, but most of the other comments have done that.