1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

History of the Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kombo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Saw this video pop up and thought it was cool, hope you guys enjoy it too. :thumbsup:

bobcruz, taylor16, 9mmMike and 12 others like this.
  2. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Cool vid, helps fill in the gaps on my limited knowledge.

Kombo likes this.
  3. Nice video.Thanks for posting...:)

Kombo likes this.
  4. Enjoyed that thank you :thumbsup:

Kombo likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Nice video. Appears I haven't evolved.:D

Kombo likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I want one of each.

Kombo and petrus61 like this.
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It is kind of funny. He names a lot of "important changes" in the evolution of the P bass. In reality, once the P bass got contours, individual saddles, and the split pickup, it essentially hasn't changed at all.

tbplayer59 and Kombo like this.
  8. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    And in my admittedly inexperienced opinion, it doesn't need to :). I tend to like a lot of the incremental changes, myself. I have an Am Pro on the way, went that route largely because of the comments I have read on the 63C neck shape, and because people either love the narrow tall frets, or didn't notice them, so it is unlikely to be a negative. I am cool with changes to what is considered the norm, I bought a 2013 MIA Tele, and a ton of people complained about the addition of a body contour, and the 6 individual saddles vs the vintage correct 3 saddle assembly used prior. I'll take comfort and better intonation over nostalgia in that case.

I really wish the Pro was just a new Am Standard in name, but I'll live.

Kombo likes this.
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    American Standard will return. If I remember what Fender's website says about the new Professional name, they dismiss the face that this is the second time the American Standard line has been discontinued. Their American Professional announcement overlooks the American series from the 2000's.

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I usually love CME's bass videos but they skipped over several notable Precisions including:

The '70s fretless precision
    The 1980-1983 Precision Special
    Precision Elite I, Elite II
    Precision Lyte

The early '90s models nicknamed "cowpoke" and "boner". Can't remember the production names ATM.

Although not a Precision in name, but the '80s MIJ Jazz Bass Special is still a precision and deserves a place among other great P-bass designs. Duff is responsible for turning a lot of people onto Fender because of that bass.

Mind Eroded likes this.
  11. If you notice a lot of these YouTube channels are doing "history of the P bass" type of videos since the launch of the Am Pro line. I don't think any of em are meant to give a real exhaustive overview of "P bass evolution" just a marketing tool to highlight Fender's newest rebranding. Despite this, I still enjoy the crap out of seeing vintage gear on these vids and at least it's not Mark Agnisi from Normans rare guitars

Yakamoga, winterburn69 and Midak like this.
  12. "welcome to the backroom of NRG, here is my leather jacket with zippers, and a nice pristine nitrocellulose finish we're about the introduce to eachother".

13. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    :D:D:D

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The last piece he played on the Am Std was a nice transcription of a 90's pop song. Special uber bonus points to anyone else who recognized the tune.

15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    He said the 70s P pickup was wound hotter for the music of the time. How do modern Fender P pickups compare?

Another question: When did Sting start playing the P with the regular single coil in it?

16. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Which begs the question: Is there a resource ANYWHERE that details all the different variations of the Fender P bass, with the production years and what made them different?

17. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    According to this video, an interview with his bass tech, he orginally "hired" the bass for the video shoot for the remake of "Demolition Man" which coincided with the release of a movie of the same name with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. That was released in 1993. He apparently dug it so much he bought it and has not played much of anything else since.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Herrick likes this.
  18. Double E

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The wikipedia page is not too bad...it links to dedicated wiki pages for some of the significant variants.

Edit: still many gaps and oversights here though.

Fender Precision Bass - Wikipedia

tbplayer59 likes this.
  19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Most of those qualify as "offshoots" to the main line of MIA P basses. The video was fine for what it was, but it omitted some steps in the line it claimed to explain. The P had an S1 switch when it was the American series, didn't it? Was that in the video?

winterburn69 likes this.
  20. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Yes!

I totally forgot about the S1! which was the "big" thing on Fenders when I started playing bass.

wvbass likes this.