History of White Pickguards on burst Fenders Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casbonano, Jan 16, 2021.

1. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    Hello everyone.

I got to wondering what the history of sunburst Jazz basses with white pickguards was like. Of course, tortoise shell is the iconic pg color. I love tortoise shell and all it’s retro vibe, and even ordered a tortoise shell pg to replace the white one on my new players series (two, actually: The fender brand left a gap between it and the control plate that was unacceptable, and the second one is nice but moves the pickup ever so slightly.... I think) Now the white has begrudgingly started to grow on me.

Anyone know if white pickguards on burst jazzes was a thing in any specific yesteryear?

I always felt fender stuck ugly white pg on the mim/standard price-point instruments on purpose to force a pickguard sale down the road lol.

2. About 1982 I think, when they switched to the all in one pickguard, no control plate set up

jamro217 likes this.
  3. Hachimitsu

Hachimitsu

Jun 6, 2019
    New Zealand
    65-jae-jbass.jpg
    John Entwistle's 65 jazz had a white pickguard.

4. KingShiv

KingShiv

Oct 10, 2019

This video shows a lot of the changes in the jazz bass, including minor stuff like pickguard changes and stuff. I'm hoping I'm remembering that right, but I'm pretty sure he mentions what year certain pickguards began showing up.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jaco didn’t need a white pick guard

6. I have a J that came with white, then I switched to pearl, now it has tort. That’s the history of my J bass. 4C6EA3A0-4D5D-48BC-B244-6FBF673687B9.jpeg

7. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    Heeey! That’s what I’m talking about! Thanks for that Hachimitsu.

8. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    Love the burst on that. Always been a fan of the more yellowish burst. If I had a bass that looked that way Tortoise would be the only way to go for sure

9. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    snap! I think you are right. I remember watching this. He may talk about it indeed...

KingShiv likes this.
  10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    White is not in style after Labor Day...... LOL

casbonano likes this.
  11. I think they used white on custom color models and tort on burst in the early days. Some colors don't match tort as well as others (blue, black, pink compared to burst, white, natural). They changed to black by 1976 and were available in white a few years later.

casbonano likes this.
  12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I’m so upset! This is Tortism!
    You all might be Tortists.
    The title of thread!?!

But wait the world should come to this thread.
    We discriminate against 10” in favor of 12” then brand vs brand and Fender vs all other basses. Then P + SVT supremacy. Woody matters. Wire doesn’t. Flats vs Rwds. No one needs an
    ABG. You’re stuck up and putting me down if you play a booteeqee. Class D! Modeling is better than real. IE is all you need. LOL :)

Then we all leave the Keyboards and play real Bass and all is right with the world. My point? We stay sisters and brothers in Bass. Peace is ours!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    casbonano likes this.
  13. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Yep, saw it in person and it still had the white pickguard on it.
    08F77719-5D5D-4AEE-A18E-8F5474EFFB92.jpeg

casbonano and Hachimitsu like this.
  14. White pickguards on sunburst basses is just an ugly color combo but I guess white colored PGs were the cheapest option for mass production models.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    ......and. I took the white pickguard off my MIJ ‘51 Precision Sunburst. My P is a Fullerton ‘57 RI so gold anodized. The P I had in 1969 was a 1957 so gold anodized pickguard. Guess I’m discriminating! :)

casbonano likes this.
  16. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    Hahahhahaha!

17. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    SW Florida
    That’s always been my personal sentiment. However, this PARCHMENT (booshie white)
    Pickguard has grown on me pretty wickedly. I guess it’s a matter of becoming fond of something by positive association (this particular bass is awesome) even though it’s contrary to my well established taste.

18. White pearloid is the only one I can accept. Cream is okay but ehhh it's too similar to plain white

19. This definitely doesn’t look like every other 60’s jazz bass ever. If it wasn’t in a museum, my first thought would have been “made in Japan”. Very cool.

casbonano likes this.
  20. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Here's my '64 which I remember as being sunburst when I bought it in about '82 or 3. I immediately had it refinished in tobacco sunburst and had EMG's installed . . . In retrospect, not the wisest course of action. Not sure if that pickguard was the original one or not, but it's yellowed nicely:
    20180508_204322.jpg