1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hit a crossroads...Note: also posted in double bass section

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I posted this in this forum so that I might get some more opinions from electric players as well:

hi all, I am at a cross roads in my life and I need the advice of the talkbass community.

I am 17, and a junior in highschool. I am a music major, and playing jazz is my passion. That aside, I am am passionate about wind bands and orchestral music as well.

Well here is my dilemna: I know that when I go to college I will have to perform on an instrument to be my "major instrument" and I cannot decide. My first instrument was the trombone which I have been playing since the 4th grade, and I have become quite fond of. This has branched me out into playing euphonium, tuba and french horn. They are very enjoyable for me, and I would never give up my brass playing for anything.

At the same time, I love playing bass much more than brass. I am an electric and upright player, and I have been playing both for about 3 years now going onto 4 in the Spring. I have filled in on local jazz gigs for jazz combos and I play in my school bandas well. Although more a jazz player, I have played some orchestral styles and in some orchestras but not a lot. My bowing is probably nothing above average.

So the Question is what do I choose? I love bass more than brass instruments, but I think I am better at trombone than bass. I have made All county bands in jazz on bass and trombone and all county band and orchestra on trombone and bass respectively (not to brag or anything, I'm just putting it out there). Still I feel like if I major on bass, I am going to be lightyears behind someone who started at a young age.

I'm sorry if any of that made me seem arrogant, but I just need some help. Please any input would be helpful, I need some advice and I trust this community very much.

- Joe

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You realize you're asking this on a bass players board, don't you?

Want to guess what answers you'll get here?

3. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    well I hoped that some people would be more insightful and give me some advice despite the normal bias

in any event I also posted this ona trombone board ;)

4. I say look at the bigger picture.

Which one do you see playing as your main instrument as a musical career.

Yes, my answer is bias.

5. I say that for collegiate reasonings, take the brass and go for it. Then take the bass and audition for the jazz bands and get a spot so you can keep playing both, but use the brass to get your place in the college. (Maybe even by scholarship! That never hurts!) You can change majors later if you feel that your playing has improved or surpasses the others at the collage as far as the bass is concerned. Remember; just because you enter as a brass player, (which sounds like your forte), it doesn't close the doors on other directions; it gets you to the "handle"! Good luck!

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like where I was years ago. Trumpet and bass.

Supporting yourself performing music is possible, but difficult. While you are in college it is a good idea to consider getting teaching training so you can get the certificate or license that you'll need to teach school.

The reality is that in teaching in school, the brass experience will do you well.... but in giging, bass will do you better. Frankly I don't see why keeping up with both instruments is a problem.

Good luck with your plans. Try to get with some professionals in your area and see with they say... also see what their life is like.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Can't you do a double major?