1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hit a frikkin' deer this morning!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DWBass, Sep 11, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Son of a bitch came outta nowhere and I clipped her on the right front side of my car. Damaged my passenger side marker light. Cracked it right in half. Patches of hair all over the area. Damn thing just kept on running like nothing ever happened! I know it's hurt though! 9/11! Hmmmm.

And how was your morning?? :eek:

2. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    yeah I know what you mean. I hit a kangaroo a couple of weeks back and really damaged my car, not to mention its leg. And like in your case it just ran off.

Yeah felt a little guilty until I saw it had caved in the front bumper and smashed the headlight.

3. mmmmm venison, should have chased after that sucker!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It hauled @$$ after I hit it!

5. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Aww man, no roadkill dinner. Sorry to hear about your loss.

6. Lucky escape there, hit a deer once up north and it came through the windscreen. That was a close call and not what one could call a plesant experience.

(The car wasn't totaled but the deer was :p - oh well we got too many of 'em anyway)

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think it was a doe. It wasn't very big. It coulda been a dog. I don't know. It was no taller than the hood of my car (98 Cutlass/Malibu). When I looked to my left, it seemed like it was running like a deer as I never saw a dog run like that. That kinda run/bounce type of running. So I am assuming it was a young deer. I just caught a glimpse.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They've been fairly active around here for the last month or so. Hopefully the woods will be full of them come firearms season!

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I can empathize. In April, 1/2 mile from my house, just starting to slow from 70mph to the exit ramp, damn deer came up from the median and I hit it square. So square, my headlights were both intact, but the in-between, got shoved up into the engine, totalling my Altima. I'm convinced only thing that saved my life was that the hood popped straight up on impact. The deer hit the inside of the hood as the hood slapped against my windsheild. It sheared the rear third of the deer off, killing it instantly. But for that, he was in my lap and through the windsheild. Messed up my shoulder for a while with the seatbelt grabbing my shoulder. Both airbags deployed. I blindly skidded off the road, ended up perfectly on the shoulder and did not end up in the 50 foot deep embankment that was to the right of the shoulder. A trucker in the other lanes saw it and ran over to get me out of the car as it was smoking pretty bad, but did not start on fire. I walked away from it unscathed and only a couple days later did the head and shoulder start bothering me. I'm 100% now. Damn stupid deer. Deer hunting season ought to be 3 times as long as it is. I thank God for how it turned out.

10. This guy hit a bear while riding his bicycle!

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I cringe when I see motorcyclists riding in the dark on Wisconsin highways - they're justing asking for it IMO.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    How the hell do you miss a ten foot tall bear?!

13. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well, it's only 10 feet tall if it's standing on it's hind legs. On all fours it'd be about 8 feet long, and harder to miss.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I hit a pretty big buck a few months ago, it came out of nowhere and I barely had time to stop. I guess I must have slowed down just enough because I hit it pretty hard, to the point where one of it's antlers broke and went cartwheeling through the air, while the buck itself slid about 10-15' on it's side.
    The thing got up and ran away, I was amazed.. felt really bad though.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Still. IT'S A BEAR!

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Poor thing --- the deer I mean.
    Hope you both are OK!

I've come close to hitting one, but have been fortunate so far. I live on hwy 101 and there's fresh carnage most every morning.

I was coming home from a New Years gig up in the mountains in Washington years ago. A small pick up and was driving a very drunk drummer and his g/f back home to Seattle. They were both in the middle of fighting and slapping each other when a deer jumped out from the side of the road. I thought we were toast, but it managed to leap over the hood and back into the dark woods.
    I stopped the truck right there and said "Knock it off or you guys can walk home!"

To much chaos -- even for me!!

17. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Point taken.......

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I suppose he might have missed an elephant then?

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Depends... seated or standing?

20. I would have chased it down once I made sure I and anyone else in the car we're alright! I'm not sure about where you live but in Maine if you hit a deer or a moose you're allowed to keep the animal if it dies during or soon after the accident.