Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hit me baby one more time (TV)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 15, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Has anyone seen this show? It's pretty cool, getting to see old one hit wonders that you may have liked, and see what they can do now with a current song.

I'm pretty irritated with the last episode though. Vanilla Ice was a part of it and in the beginning of the show he says that he is going to play "Survivor" by Destiny's Child...well this should be interesting... He is the last one to perform and what he played was not Destiny's Childs' Survivor, but his own song by the same name that he wrote. The only thing tying the two together was the word "Survivor" in the song.

The worst part is, HE WON! HE FREAKIN' WON! I'm assuming that the producers of the show don't have them perform for them before hand, but when it came time for voting, shouldn't he have been disqualified for performing an original song?

2. It isn't really neccesary. He was disqualified in the early 90's for everything he would do in the future.

Mike

3. The song they do at the end is a cover song. So it doesn't have to be exactly like the original. I mean, the Motels sped up Nora Jones' "Don't Know Why."

The reason Vanilla Ice won is because how many people bought the album "To the Extreme" simply because it had "Ice, Ice Baby" on it? That song took America by storm more so than the 4 other artists on last Thursday (which was the original airing of last nite's rerun). The only reason everyone hates Vanilla Ice now is because of that damn lawsuit from Queen for the supposed stolen bass line. Tell me how many rappers out there now DON'T sample from other songs...

Looking forward to tomorrow nite's episode though...WANG CHUNG!

4. I'll disagree. I have disliked 'Nilla's music since that song hit the air. Lawsuit? Couldn't make me respect him less.

Mike

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE!

Dont you know that he didnt not still music from queen... you all are trippen... see queen goes "tan tara rar tan tan tan" and his goes "tan tara rar tan tan tar!"

Crazy british... know nothing about music...

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Agreed. They were the only group that retained that professional quality, imo.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I know that, and changing the song a bit and making it your own is one thing. Changing the lyrics entirely is a different story. At that point, it's no longer the song you're covering, it's completely different.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The Knacks rock by far the most.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 They were the best of the night. Not only the best performance, but to me they seemed the most genuine.

10. thunder-pick

thunder-pick

Jun 9, 2005
    I agree The Knack rocked! Their first album was one of the best debut albums ever, unfortunately they couldn't repeat that success. Just as an aside, a) what the hell happened to loverboy! and b) Tiffany, did she grow up nice or what!

11. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Too bad the knack had to cut off My Sharona short, I wanted to hear the solos.

Did anyone notice that alot of the bassists looked to be slapping? I didn't hear any slap but it could of just been my crappy TV speakers

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    It was obvious that they were really singing, but I'm not so sure about really playing. I noticed all the slapping going on and thought, "I don't hear it." Some of the drums didn't seem to match up either.

I'm looking forward to Howard Jones.

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I couldn't tell what the bass player was doing technique wise. Sounded good though.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    He was using some big thumb action. I think they were fakin' the music.

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Didn't sound like it to me.

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    How dare you, how dare you.

I'm been studying that technique for years. It takes a master to know how to do that.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I'm a non-violent person by nature but when ever I watch this show the only thing I want to hit (really hard and in the face) is the host of the show.
    BTW I love all of the old groups, they all sound good for the most part.

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

Huh?

19. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    If he were alive, you could tell that to George Harrison. :eek:

20. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005