1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hit me with your favorite delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Frodolicious, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Hey folks, I have a carbon copy bright that I very much like, but GAS is eternal. I'm falling down the rabbit hole of Echorecs and Tape emulation delays.

I've read the other delay related threads here, so I'm curious as of now, what your own favorite delays are. I myself keep leaning towards a Prince Dawner Boonar (thanks, Proton Lenny), a Dunlop Echoplex, or Source Audio Nemesis.

Thanks everyone!

2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    DOD Rubberneck

3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    The echoplex is supposed to be a squeaky clean tape delay. As in no warble

If you want the warble I’d recommend the boss re20

sillyfabe and Frodolicious like this.
  4. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Industrialectric Echo Degrader

5. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I'll look into that for sure! But the Echoplex does have an age mode that you can change with the volume knob to make it more warbly and dirty (my understanding, anyway)

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Meet Maude

TheLowDown33 and Frodolicious like this.
  7. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
  8. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Alexander Sky-Fi

Frodolicious likes this.
  9. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    No doubt for me, Eventide H9.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I have a few I really like.

Favorite is the Disaster Transport Jr from Earthquaker Devices. It's a digital delay, so you get a lot of delay time, but it sounds just like an analog delay: a touch of lo-fi and ethereal as all get-out. Beautiful washes and self-oscillation at higher repeats. Mix control makes it super usable on bass, layering reverb-like tones on top of your lines.

mbfmxsuysiigmswlygbq.

Also really dig:
    Anomolies from Fuzzrocious. Even more lo-fi if you're into that, and really fun for making noise because of the momentary time shift switch and because the self-oscillation gets nuts.

Electroman by SolidGoldFX. Similar to the Disaster Transport Jr in that it gets the best of both worlds (analog/digital). Sounds beautiful, and the Warp feature is a big selling point for me. It lets you do momentary oscillation swells over your lines.

BassAndReeds and Backdrop like this.
  11. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Diamond memory lane jr, EQD avalanche run and the Catalinbread echorec take the cake for me. Also a big fan of SA nemesis and most of the Strymon delays.

packhowitzer likes this.
  12. The moog moogerfooger was the best analog delay I’ve ever had and up until last night I would have recommended the ehx canyon but I’ve realized it’s major flaw last night if you tap the footswitch by accident like I did last night it does tap tempo, pretty much killing killing whatever delay you had set up.

Frodolicious likes this.
  13. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I've never played an ep pedal, i'm speaking of the original ep-3 unit. I'll have to check that pedal out

Frodolicious likes this.
  14. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I'm currently using a Boss DD-7, but I'm thinking of swapping it for a TC Electronics Flashback X4. The Flashback has 3 delay channels, so you can set a triplet, 1/8 and 1/4 delay on different channels and control them all with one tap tempo.

Frodolicious likes this.
  15. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    Only used Line6 DL4 (mostly "multi-head" option), but in the future I will most certainly buy Tensor by Red Panda :)
    also, EQD Dispatch Master caught my eye/ear recently...

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I rather liked the Diamond Memory Lane Jr. but I recently traded it off for something more useful to me.

It is mostly analog with modulation, tap and time divisions and I thought the simple 4 knob layout was nice since I'm not a fan of multi-function modes and menus and whatnot.

I just couldn't find enough use for delay to justify the real estate on my board. ...Not that it's a big pedal, mind you. It's not. I just think one of those mini pedals would work better for my needs.

Frodolicious likes this.
  17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Had an EHX Canyon which was awesome.
    Rock on.

Frodolicious likes this.
  18. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I've read nothing but great things about the Empress Tape Delay which I was leaning toward purchasing, but I ended up getting a near mint SA Nemesis from a TB'er and it is pretty wicked...no regrets.

Frodolicious likes this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Oohpsy...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  20. bradstinson

bradstinson Supporting Member

I've been through several delays over the last year, while looking for a great tape delay:
    • DD-7
    • Boss RE-20
    • Avalanche Run
    • Kilobyte
    • SA Nemesis
    • Dispatch Master
    Out of all of these, I only kept the Dispatch Master. I know it's not really meant to emulate a tape delay, but it ended up being the most fun to use with bass and also the easiest to dial in a great sound. However, the Kilobyte was a close second.

Frodolicious likes this.