Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hit me with your Rythm Stick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Last night I saw some old footage of Ian Dury and the Blockheads doing 'Rythm Stick.

I could help being impressed by the stamina of their bassist. This is one of my favourite bass lines: nothing really flashy but it's stunning, IMHO, just for the way it drives the song.

Just a thought........ :D

John

2. I don't know if I should say this, but, I have the 12" 45 vinyl. That is a hard line to play, stamina-wise.

"Two fat persons, click, click, click!" ;)

Mike

3. It just occured to me that someone unfamiliar with this song might think this is a personal ad. :eek:

Mike :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody remember this?

[​IMG]

Dynacord Rhythm stick

5. It got to #1 in the charts over here to.... brilliant!

And is such a good bassline.... it just doesn't stop moving. I'm gonna start trying to learn it now...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Norman Watt-Roy is one of the best bassists around - did loads of sessions - like Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

He did some really funky lines with Ian Dury and the Blockheads - I like "Inbetweenies". I saw them live in about 1979 -1980 and they were a great live band then - realy brought the house down.

Hit me with your Rhythm Stick is probably my favourite track of theirs - the memory of it getting to No 1 in the charts contributes to that. So - like watching "Top of the Pops" and this is top of the charts - it was an encouraging time for music!!

So - there were lots of interviews with Norman in magazines at the time as he was the "in demand" bassist.

He explained how Chaz Jankel and Dury had this song, but it was really transformed by the bassline - so they had all been to see Weather Report playing live with Jaco Pastorius at the height of his powers and they were all blown away by his 16th note grooves - so this was Norman's attempt at a Jaco-style bassline and he puts it in a song and it goes straight to No 1 - it sounds like a "fairytale" for bassists - but it's true!! ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

We were posting at the same time! I have a transcription of this line in an old Bassist magazine - it is quite tough to play and keep that 16th note groove bubbling away!

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Knock me down with a feather...

I've been listening to Ian Dury a lot lately. I have two favourites; rhythm stick and well you can guess the other. My money's on Bruce getting it first.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Wide boys wonder whether ...

Also it takes much longer to get up North the Slow Way!!

It's Billericay Dicky!! :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Neither have they not....

got no right to make a clot out of ...

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    either have they got
    nor neither have they not
    got the right to make a clot

out of Plaistow Patricia???

lol nice one...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Do you think Rum n Ribena translates across the pond? ;)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Probably not. Ian Dury's lyrics are very English...very Essex and an aquired taste. I love them.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I saw Drury & the Blockheads as a second bill long ago and far away.

I thought they we're just going to be sort of a novelty act since "Sex and Drugs and Rock n' Roll" was their claim to fame in the USA at the time. But the band was surprisingly fine and tight as a snare head.

Drury's vocals were the only weak spot and I guess the public here couldn't get past his being handicapped/physically-challenged.

15. "Mid-net collision"?

Anyways, is that transcription notation or tabz? Seeing something would make it much easier than starting from the very start.

And I know I need to work on my stamina, surely this must be one of the best songs to work on it with?

16. Very good as pieces of poetry too, looking at the world from a strange place.
    If I'd been allowed to study them instead of Heaney in English, I'd surely have got a better grade......

17. Bruce Lindfield

Strange... I wonder what that says about our two different cultures? Over here, he was much-loved because he overcame his difficulties and there were huge tributes when he died.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think it says two things, Bruce;

1. If you're not oozing virility, you've got to be twice as good as the competition for even a glimmer of promise, (or get in a genre where all that matters is musicianship)

2. We're a "throw-away" society, especially in the way the recording industry has become......... "You're great!.....who's next??? :rolleyes:

19. Bruce Lindfield

But why is the US so different in this respect - why could Ian Dury have a No 1 single in the UK?