Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy cast

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aight, so the movie is finally being finalized, and the cast list is official.

Arthur Dent: Martin Freeman
    Ford: Mos Def
    Trillian: Zooey Deschanel
    Marvin: Warwick Davis
    Zaphod: Sam Rockwell

Warwick Davis as Marvin is actually kinda smooth, but I gotta say... Mos Def as Ford? I don't see it. Mos Def is a perfectly capable actor, but I think Def as Ford is nigh but the ultimate miscasting. I'm not really sure who should be Ford, but Mos Def ain't it. If I squint reeeal hard I can see him as Ford, but it just don't seem like the right guy, y'know?
    Sam Rockwell as Zaphod seems oddly fitting, however. Can't comment on Deschanel, don't know her or her work.

I think a good guy for Ford might have been Eddie Izzard (not dressed as a woman).

Thoughts in general?

2. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    That's being made into a movie? Do you have a link to some info?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe it was made once for the BBC, but this latest version is a major motion picture product.

www.douglasadams.com has about the only info on it I've been able to find.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm intrigued by the casting of Mos Def....I think he could potentially make it an awesome performance, if he played Ford with a real deadpan style of humor, he could add a new dimension. Of course, I'm being very optimistic here. But I think it does have potential to be great.

EDIT: Knowing how often Hollywood screws up great book translations...all I can do is hope for the best.

5. No good can come of this... :(

I'm really sorry to say this, but much of the humour (yes, there is a second "u" in there) is quintessentially English and I really don't see how Hollywood would deal with this in a way that would leave real fans like myself happy with the result. Are they going to replace "Krikkit" with baseball? I'd hate to see it all reduced to the level of, say, "Dude, where's my car?"...

If you really want the true HHGTTG experience I can really recommend checking out the original radio series. The BBC brought it out on a tape boxset and it really is splendid. Honestly. If you're a fan, find these tapes and buy them.

Other peoples mileage may vary greatly on this, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone by being a purist, but there are some things that just won't translate well to Hollywood.

PS. I completely acknowledge that Lord of the Rings was "unfilmable" until recently, and Peter Jackson has done a completely stunning job. But he's a Kiwi.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would refuse to see it, but my morbid curiosity compells me. Like a train wreck: I can't not look.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess if the movie sucks the producers could always put "We Apologize for the Inconvenience" in the ending credits.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought you never read the books brendan? :confused:

(or at least, not all of them)

either way, in teh salmon of doubt, adams wrote a lot about the possibility of a movie, had it not been for various complications with different production houses, it would have been made a movie a long time ago. Granted, without douglas at the helm, this project will likely suffer, he did write a script that he was more or less pleased with, so I think it is possible it'll turn out well, if they don't change things too much.

Following some links, I found that Garth Jennings will be directing it, as well as doing some screenplay work, though credits list Adams as 'first screenplay writer'

Jennings has relatively nothing under his belt according to www.imdb.com

:meh: x1000

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mmmm nope, read the entire series and both of the Dirk Gently books.

10. Eddie Izzards the man.

"I like my coffee hot and strong. Like I like my women, hot, and strong. With a spoon in them"

11. :ninja: I hope this movie turns out well.

:D I've read the books, listened to the radio series, and watched the BBC television series. they were all great.

:confused: I don't really know any of those actors, except martin freeman from the office, so I can't really comment on the casting.

:help: like MKS said, most of the humour(this IS the proper spelling, get used to it!) will be in danger within all those hollywood folks. Lets just prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

EDIT: I remember reading that one of the producers would be jennifer or suzanne todd(can't remember which one), who both where in the production of the Austin Powers movies. was that wrong?

12. They had better keep the original BBC Radiophonic Workshop soundtrack fromthe series as well. This tune is synonymous with HHGTTG...

Who'll be "The Book"?

13. yeah, H2G2 is nothing without that tune! :cool:
    and they better not "fancify" it with a 100 person orchestra or something. just use the theme from the original series! :)

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    eddie izzard is indeed the man.

but he should be left alone to do his standup......you 'mmericans didn't have to suffer his short lived acting career....first in the west end and then on tv.

15. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    You talking about the Banjo-fied Dr Who homage?
    That's why I got the DVD.

16. Hatman

Hatman

Feb 11, 2004
    Shropshire UK
    Eddie Izzard is a fantastic comedian but a terrible actor.

Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent? Not too sure about that one either. I suppose he does look a bit like a monkey though!

Maybe the casting was done by the same person who cast Ewan McGregor as Obi wan?!