1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hive mind! what fell out of my trace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgriffin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
  2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    oh now ya did it!

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    ouch! gee i dunno, but it looks important! could it be some sort of noise filter? my guess.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That is an inductor that came off of the crossover! Can you still get high? :bag:

5. Hi.

Yep, an inductor.

When You open the cab and/or remove the cross-over PCB, it should be clear where that came from.

Regards
    Sam

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Glue came loose and both leads broke....thing must've taken some hard knocks. Yes, they're right, it's part of the crossover/tweeter filter circuit. Should be a big empty spot on the board where that thing belongs.

7. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks all. So the most obvious next stupid question is: will it damage the cab to play through it ? Should the cross-over be zero'd ?

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you can't fix it right away, the whole crossover and tweeter should be bypassed, wire the woofers straight up to a jack. Of course, if you're going to open it up to do that, you may as well fix the inductor and thus, fix the cab.

Playing it with broken or missing crossover parts can play hell with some amps and even damage them, depending on how things are wired/what kind of crossover it is.

9. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks again. This thing is going to be a bear to access. It's mounted to the inside of the back wall of the cab.

10. It's probably not as bad as you think. You should be able to remove the whole crossover from the cab, then make the repairs and put it back in.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Remove one (or both) of the 10" drivers to access the Xover.

12. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
    This is fixed now. It turned out to be easiest to remove the crossover pcb through the hole for the handle on the side of the cab. I don't think the inductor was ever glued to the board; I think it was only secured by the lead tabs from the pcb, run through the plastic sockets of the inductor. I couldn't easily remove the broken ends from the sockets, so I used the sockets on the other side and jumpered the leads. I also secured the thing with a cable tie.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106839793910670131837/albums/5691400629883577105

Thanks all.

13. Some hot melt glue might be appropriate too.