Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hiw good are rogue basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pheonix316, Feb 23, 2001.

1. pheonix316

pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    How good are the Rogue basses? If you had to rate those basses what would you rate it at on sound, looks, duribility, features and reliability?
    Thank you for your time.

2. Take cover! This is gonna get ugly!

People around here generally dislike Rouges quite a bit.. Search for the Thread"Things Rogues are good for" This will give u a good taste of what people round here think of rouges. Personally, i have never played one, but from what everyone says about em, i have no desire to, and i think they are quite ugly too.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What good is a Rogue Bass?
    No good at all!

The fours, the fives and six-stringers,
    Bring torment to all eyes, ears and fingers.
    Hitherto the question lingers:
    Why Rogues exist at all?

No good at all!

Their fretted and fretless basses
    Bring frowns to all people's faces.
    Wanna know their saving graces?
    They make good firewood, that's all!

No good at all!

Just "Crap" with a different name.
    If you want one, you're insane.
    Buy one at your own risk;
    But don't come back and say we're to blame!

No good at all!

Will C.:cool:

4. big wheel, that was beautiful. i may weep openly. :)

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    pheonix, snice all of these posts will be rouge haters showing their disgust, i thought id help you. if you want a cheap bass, you cant go wrong with a MIM (made in mexico) Fender Jazz bass. they are very verastile and you can get them for cheap. here are some links to info on these basses.

http://zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.FEN0136500573&z=993190101360

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/01022310364115216319719776318?pid=510076

now you can get fretless, active, passive, or 5 string. these links will point you to the 4 string passive models. the most basic & cheapest. they still kick ass. if you go used though, you can get them dirt cheap.

6. Big Wheel,

perfectly said in a most poetic way.

a.k.a. CLASSIC !!

7. bravo! bravo!

thats what a rogue is good for....for big wheel to write something about it to tell how bad it really is.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

(American Heritage Dictionary); "Rogue: ...An organism which shows undesireable variations from the standard...."

Well, at least the manufacturer was honest (except for the "organism" part).

The Fender MIM Jazz and Jay Tursers are known for giving a lot of decent bass for not much money.

Play before you buy, if you can. Or at least be able to return it if what you buy doesn't turn out as you hoped.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I beg your pardon, but I must point out the paradox of Will's otherwise elegant and witty ditty. While, on the one hand, the interlude declares that "[Rogues] are no good at all," the last line of the second verse proclaims their suitability as firewood. Now out here in the land of eternal stage three energy alerts (California), firewood sales are up dramatically, and Rogue guitars have a new-found social redemption. So let's give a little credit where credit's due, eh?

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You have to understand, munjibunga, that all great art contains at least one paradox, otherwise it is no real art. Life came before art, therefore it only makes sense that art imitates life. Life is not perfect, therefore, no art can be perfect. Even if the artist were creating a painting of "perfect", it would still be imperfect because the artist him/herself is not perfect. Real perfection does come to us occasionally, and it's in these moments that really great art is created. unfortunately, not all art is recognized as such because we don't have access to all masterpieces that were ever created. Sometimes you see one, written like this one, which will eventually be forgotten. You may have just seen one up there. Enjoy!

;)

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    NO way!

I like my Rogue. I have the 305 acoustic bass by them and it sounds really good. It looks great too. These dudes are funny in the head... they always say, judge it with your ears... but they mean judge it with your ears as long as it is a bass that I approve of.

My Rogue sounds good to me. The price was great. I am very satisfied. :)

[​IMG]

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Did I kill this thread?

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe - oops... :)

People might be stunned that I showed a Rogue bass.

14. Will, the thread was over when phoenix hit "Submit Thread"

15. Hey, someone's actually saying good things about Jay Tursers! I was waiting for this moment.

Anyways, I have a Jay Turser. The list on it was $305, but I got it for $200. Now I've played on Squires and Rogues at Mars, Guitar Center, etc. and they don't come close to the sound of mine, for the same price.

It'll probably be awhile before someone says anything good about these again. :D

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There's actually a lot of TB'ers who respect them as a good piece of tone for the money. They just don't come up much because the MIM Jazzes and Squiers are so popular in the US.

17. elan_virpul

elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    and i can't say i'm super un-happy with it. i actually like that bass, but i don't play it much.

but, for a cheap bass, it has a great hollowbody sound.

my two cents.