Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hiwatt 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 18, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello.
    Can anyone discribe the sound and tell me how loud this head can be. Is there a difference between the kt88 and el34 model in sound and loudness? Any info is welcomed.
    Is $1200 a resonable price???

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i can't help you with your questions. the only thing i can say is that i tried a Hiwatt custom 100. it was absolutely fantastic with bass. clear tube sound very similar to playng and acoustic instrument. the output volume was really high, much more than a svt3 pro. i was amazed by that head and feared by the high price. if you can afford one and if you are not in this modern hifi sound go for it.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Best sound I've ever heard for Bass. Rich, full, clear not squished like Marshall tube amps and not gritty like SVT. Just rich and pure.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Jock,
    I have a DR-201 with KT-88's. That amp rules the planet! I use it with an SE-4122 Hiwatt 4x12 bass cab with Fanes. I've also used it alot with an SVT cab and it is MUCH louder and cleaner than the SVT head. Mine also has the "bass pre-amp" mod from the factory! I just sold my other DR-201 for $1500.00. That one had the 6 EL-34's. I thought that one wasn't as fat sounding and I didn't need 2. They guy that bought it thinks it's the bomb though! I would HIGHLY reccomend buying it for $1200.00 as they are skyrocketing in value and are not getting any easier to find.
    Good luck!
    GEEK

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Hiwatt's are great for bass!! I have an early 4-input Custom 100 that is plenty loud and clean. I retrofitted mine with 6550's rather than EL34's; it gives a bigger bass slam now. I can only imagine that the 200 model would peal the paint off the walls it would be so loud. Actually folks, I think the Hiwatt secret is the Partridge transformers. These are revered by HIFI guys and I think that's why they make such good bass amps. I tend to like my Sunn Model T (old one) a little better though since it's more detailed in the mids.

Do you know what factory bass mod they did??

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Tapp,
    No, I don't know exactly what the mod consists of. My friend is a world reknowned British amp authority though and he claims that the "mod" was available from Hiwatt on all models. It is deeper, fatter and rounder than any Hiwatt I've owned, and I've had about 20!
    Don't sell that Custom 100......you'll regret it!
    GEEK

7. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Thats cool Gibsongeek! If you find out the details of the mod let me know. I know that most Hiwatt heads are labelled "AP" which is "all purpose" for bass, keys, and guitar. I'm not planning on selling my DR103 anytime soon.

What preamp tubes are you using in your 201? I'm currently using EH 12AX7's but I'm going to try several others.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How loud is the 100W version?
    How big gigs can it do?
    Maybe its enough for me and I can save some $ and buy a new bass too. Thoughts?

9. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I don't know how loud you play Jock, but the Hiwatt DR103 is plenty loud for my purposes. I would imagine it would be enough for auditoriums if you're using it with a PA and a nice efficient cab.

A few things to consider, make sure it's a 4-input model. The 2-inputers have more distortion and guitarists dig them but the older 4-inputs have a cleaner tone and are better suited for bass (imho). Make sure the amp is up to shape (cap job, good tubes, etc). Also, don't worry if you find yourself cranking the volume knobs up to 1:00; the Hiwatt's used linear taper potentiometers and they act like a switch (they have a range where they get loud quickly later in the pot's range). If you need SVT volume, get the 200 model and you can play stadiums.

tapp

10. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    I just got my Hiwatt Custom 200, I'll try it today, with the Wal.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You people are making me jealous! :crying::spit:

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Please, can someone tell if these new Hiwatt Custom heads have an XLR D.I. output ? The original ones of course did not have it, and there's no info about this on the Hiwatt website.

Many thanks
    Jay

13. Hi Jay I'm going to factory next week, I'll try and remember to ask/look.
    Regarding KT88s as opposed to EL34s in the 200 watters, as with Orange (AD200B), you only need four KT88s as opposed to 6 hard pressed and very hot on bass EL34s.

14. Hi guys ! i´m new to this forum. My name is Alex, i´m from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and i own a Hiwatt Custom 100 DR-103 since 2001. I use it with a Fender Precision 1978 and a Fender Jazz Bass V Deluxe series.
    I use the head with a 4x12" cab. with ampeg cones... I don´t like this cab and im looking forward to getting a 1x15 and a 4x10".
    Do you recommend this ?

How do you send your signal to the soundboard ? Do you mic the cab ? Would you do this ? I think it´s the only way i can put the sound of my bass and the hiwatt on the PA.
    Now i´m routing like this...
    Bass > Pedalboard > D.I. > Soundboard > back to D.I. > Hiwatt... So i´m using the amp and the cab just like monitor.

Well. .see ya !

15. If the cabinet you have now was made for guitar, you'll be much better off with bass cabinets. I know Ampeg has made a 4X12 for bass, but it looks very different from their old guitar cabinets.

You can use a microphone, or get a DI that is made to plug into the speaker output of the amp. You plug the speaker cord from the amp into the DI, then plug the DI into the bass cabinet, and plug a microphone cord into the balanced out on the DI, then into the sound board. Be very careful that you only do this with a DI that is meant to be used this way! Many are not, but they do exist.

16. Thanks man ! great ! i´m gonna get one of those DI. Any idea of brands and models ?